I think I messed up (bloody stool)

The Sulphamethoxazole is a good one to treat the chick with. Mix according to the directions, but adjust the amount for about half a quart of water. Give for four to seven days.

The Sulphamethoxazole is a good one to treat the chick with. Mix according to the directions, but adjust the amount for about half a quart of water. Give for four to seven days.
Thank you!

The one I have indicates its for direct oral administration. Reading the instructions I was supposed to give .4ml directly to the bird it was intended for. I backed out the amount based on this chick's weight. Almost .3ml on the dot so I went ahead and gave it that directly by mouth.

Perfect. You should see improvement in 24 hours unless the chick is too far gone. Have you completed the course of Corid treatment? If not, complete the full course, and a Corid drench for three days would be in order, as well. That would be .1 ml per pound of undiluted Corid liquid in addition to the drinking water treatment.

Perfect. You should see improvement in 24 hours unless the chick is too far gone. Have you completed the course of Corid treatment? If not, complete the full course, and a Corid drench for three days would be in order, as well. That would be .1 ml per pound of undiluted Corid liquid in addition to the drinking water treatment.

We're still working on the corid treatment, yes. Started yesterday. Oral drench and in water, as only source of water. I searched around this forum and it sounds like corid can be given in tandem with the sulfa drugs?

The other two chicks aren't nearly as bad off as this one, so I'm going to hold off on giving them anything other than the corid until I can speak to the vet and hopefully get a fecal done.

Yes, Corid and a sulfa drug are often given together. Since the US is a third world country in many ways, we don't have access to a coccidiostat that combines sulfa, but it's sold that way in Asia and Europe.

Yes, Corid and a sulfa drug are often given together. Since the US is a third world country in many ways, we don't have access to a coccidiostat that combines sulfa, but it's sold that way in Asia and Europe.
Yes its very frustrating how hard some of these things are to get. Equally frustrating that no vet will do something simple like a fecal without seeing the bird.

Which I understand somewhat, I don't expect them to give me and RX without seeing the animal, but knowing the results of a fecal isn't something someone can abuse like a drug.

I have one vet who's seen my birds in person and who will finally do things like a fecal without a visit. Too bad they don't work weekends :(

Got the fecal done and more of the Sulphamethoxazole to treat all three. Somewhat validating, the vet said that dosing the sick one on Sunday may have saved her life. MAY have, he still felt she was pretty bad and it was probably 50/50 at this point.

She hasn't been eating and is extremely thin at this point, so he said give her anything she will take. The only thing she will eat is mealworms, so I'm trying to offer a few throughout the day. She's eating those with gusto so maybe they will give her some energy to fight this.

Try boiled rice and some yogurt or cottage cheese, or soft boiled egg mixed in. Feed all the chicks together since they take their eating cues from one another.
Thank you, good idea. I added her back in with the others with a boiled egg, and as soon as the others went for it she did too! Ate a little bit of yolk. Progress, I hope.

Not sure how things are going today. She ate some yesterday, the eggs, mealworms, and even some of her regular chick starter.

But she's lost a lot of weight. 532 grams on Sunday, only 470 grams today. That's a lot for a little bird to lose so quickly :(

Back
Top Bottom