I think I want frizzles.

SoccerMomof7

Songster
11 Years
Apr 13, 2008
Kansas
Okay well I have finally convinced my DH to make me a second area for another flock. I want them to be show quailty or pure, are frizzles? They are really pretty but I don't know much about them.

Yes, Bantam Cochin Frizzles are pure. I got mine from a breeder who shows hers.

I have one, that Im pretty sure is a Frizzle bantam cochin
big_smile.png
they are 2 weeks old today and I can see the little feathers sticking out, they are not strait like the others
celebrate.gif

I did hear that you cant breed frizzle to frizzle, cant remember why though.

So if you want to breed them then one has to be strait feather and one has to be frizzle.

Last edited:
I love frizzled Silkies because they would be the epitome of all bad hair days!

Suzy

wee.gif

Quote:
I have them and they are very nice birds. The reason you don't want to breed a frizzle to a frizzle is b/c you could possibly end up with an almost bald chicken - or one with a lot of patches missing. They aren't pretty looking
hmm.png

Hook up with Dipsy Doo She is the Queen of the frizzle. I hatched some adorable Cochins from her- bantams.

Now, Frizzle to Frizzle= FRAZZLE... and I have a couple of those crazy looking hens. They don't seem to lay eggs (I bought them as adults). Really their feathers are just a mess, and one looks like a half-naked neck because after her molt she went bald. Sad looking lovely...

I do have a frizzle Cochin roo with some straight Cochin hens, so they would throw some frizzle chicks and some straight feathered chicks (there is a ratio, but I can't tell you off the top of my head) Mine are Mottled. I also have white frizzle cochin hen with a straight roo and straight hens. I'm getting eggs from someone but I haven't split these out yet for the spring...building seperate runs for them.

Now here's another option for you... SIZZLES... Silkie/Frizzle cross. And there is the Polish Frizzle too. I have not seen standards frizzled so I can't help you there, but I like the bantams...

Good Luck!

You should not breed frizzle to frizzle because two copies of the frizzle gene makes the feathers very brittle -- so the poor bird may end up nearly naked!

I love frizzled cochins too. I don't have any -- yet -- but one of these days I will!

Quote:
I have them and they are very nice birds. The reason you don't want to breed a frizzle to a frizzle is b/c you could possibly end up with an almost bald chicken - or one with a lot of patches missing. They aren't pretty looking
hmm.png

Ahhhh, that explains it, Thanks. Definetly dont want a bald chicken.

Back
Top Bottom