I think I'm secure, but wanting a second opinion PICS

matimeo

Songster
9 Years
Jul 29, 2010
Oregon
Here is my setup. You can see I have these stone pavers as a foundation to my coop. The first one is held down by the weight of the coop, and then there is one more extending away from the coop.

073ecd58-8549-48a6-a698-cd38782b6cc9_300.jpg

DSCN6079.JPG

IMG_8103.JPG

IMG_8106.JPG

I'm hoping that nothing would be able to dig under them. We have some coyotes nearby (very suburban area), but I don't think they would ever wander into our backyard, so main predators are opossums and raccoons. The stones are fairly heavy.

Anybody see any glaring problems with this type of an apron to keep diggers out? I originally liked the idea because it keeps the wooden base of the coop out of the mud and will keep it from rotting.

Last edited:
Not that I haven't done exactly what you have done, but I would be remiss if I didn't pass on what what suggested to me: attach hardware cloth to the bottom of the coop and make an apron flat on the ground out away from the coop, about 2 to 3 feet. THEN put the pavers over it, and dirt and stuff. That way, if a predator starts to dig just outside the pavers, it will encounter the hardware cloth.

Maybe look for some latches that aren't so easy to open, too. Raccoons are really good at using their paws like little hands. It looks like you are doing a very thorough job, though!

If a human can move it, so can a raccoon. Quite frankly, it does not look raccoon-secure to me. As was mentioned, the latches are ones a raccoon can open. I think with opossum, you need to worry more about smaller holes than about them having the strength to tear things apart, or the dexterity to open latches, etc. With as small an area as you have, I would recommend laying wire under the entire pen, extending outwards as far as possible, with the blocks placed back on top as you have them. Still not entirely secure, but a lot more so.

You probably can't see in the picture, but there are three latches on the bottom run door. Two are in the top and bottom corners- hasps with carabiners clipped through them, and a barrel bolt on top. The big doors to the coop have two locks on top that lock with a key, a hasp in the middle and the little gate latch at the bottom (which I know won't do anything, but maybe it will distract the critter from the real locks). My main concern was about the blocks I am using as an apron to keep anything from digging. I don't know if coons would attempt to dig, or if they would stay busy trying to work locks or find a way in.

Two swipes of the paws, and a coon will have those outside pavers out of his way! Then he can easily dig under. I agree with the others, wire apron with the pavers or gravel on top.

Your latches look secure enough but the pavers seem a little ifie. Raccoons are very determined and if they have all night and with the soil loose as it looks they can and will dig under the pavers. Follow the other's advice and bury a wire apron out at least a foot and then lay your pavers. Nice looking little coop you have!!

Move coop and pavers.

Scrape out dirt a few inches.

Flatten and level land.

Lay hardware cloth 2 feet out from all sides.

Lay pavers back down.

Concrete them in place if you want.

Then it'll be secure.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom