I think it’s time for them to go :(

Chicksnmind

Songster
Feb 16, 2018
Central Florida
My little 6 month old d’uccle is pretty aggressive. I’ve held him upside down and carried him around but it has not changed his behavior at all. This morning I reach a hand out in their run and he attacked. I grabbed as he did it and his nail lodged in my skin and broke off. Ouch for both of us. Nail splinters hurt!

The funny thing is my other rooster who has not attacked me and who has always been afraid of people (even as a chick) goes after my other little rooster after he tries to attack me. He doesn’t like me but he doesn’t like the other rooster going after me either. This other rooster is my big hatchery silkie and though he hasn’t attacked me my daughter (8yrs) who ran up to the run and was wearing bright pink shoes had him go after her the other day. She gave him a good kick and shut the door (she was trying to get a egg out out of the run). I’m not sure if it was a fluke.

I hate the idea of getting rid of them especially the big silkie and I love their rooster sound but I don’t want anyone getting hurt either :( . The silkie makes this cute sound to the girls when I bring food. Like come over here and eat.

Get rid of them , with children around it just good parenting to not have animals that attack ,

Not worth the risk to her and her cute little shoes , I’ve found the hens will get friendlier once he’s gone

Tough love mama, someone out there can try to train them or make soup ,

children before roosters

Agree with Snow 100%.

Too many roosters out there need homes that are perfect gentlemen to waste time on someone with a mean streak.

You may be able to train them to respect you with a lot of effort and constant maintenance, but you can never 100% trust them, especially around your little girl. And why risk an injury? Their aggression will likely only get worse.

Sounds like silkie is trying to protect you. Your daughter may have startled him. I have 2 silkies and if they get startled they flare up but when I take it slow and quietly they are perfect angels. I would give him another chance. Roosters are suppose to protect hens and I think he was probably trying to do that. He was startled by her running up.

I listed them on my local Facebook group. I just can’ risk it. When I asked my daughters if they would want to get rid of the roosters and get two more hens they immediately said yes. They helped raise these guys in their bathroom so if they can let go I can too .

Make sure when rehoming that you're upfront about what issues you've been having and maybe some of what you tried. You don't want someone else taking them in and having their child attacked either.

But don’t scare new owners , I adopted a silkies rooster because he didn’t like the little girls picking up his hens(normal behaviour), they were supposed to be the little girls pets !hes been a perfect gentleman here if we leave his girls alone ... no problemo,I watched him catch and drop at least 8 crickets for the girls last night... I love him he’s a good provider❤️

No no don’t give him another chance , I’m guessing no children? You have no need to keep him and risk your girls injury or even just miserable experiences with chickens .

Sometimes people don’t think

Back
Top Bottom