I think I've got a problem????

Rhoades

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2017
i think one of my chickens is eating or at least distorting her own eggs. What should be done in this case? She's about 6 months old and just started laying 2/3 weeks ago.
Thanks in advance

You will want to separate her ASAP so she doesn't teach the other birds how to peck at there eggs....

I have had some that would stop and others that wouldn't... I used mustard (they hate the taste) and it worked for a few.

Sometimes this means your chicken is not getting what she needs.... I had was being bullied away from food, got her own dish for her and she never ate the eggs unless super hungry.... Other One was a she didn't get enough calcium and she was trying to get it from the egg shell so provide more calcium.

And then there are some that just won't stop and butchering or re-homing is best choice.

Buy a ceramic egg and put it in there. Her beak will eventually get sore and will probably stop trying to peck at here own eggs

I always wonder how you can feed a hen cayenne pepper to lay more eggs & it doesn't bother her, but people think hot sauce in an egg will stop egg eating. How does that work?

Chickens lack the taste receptors for capsaicin. (hot peppers) Hot mustard sometimes works, but it's a hassle.

Nest boxes with a "roll-away" feature work best to keep eggs safe from egg eaters.

Chickens lack the taste receptors for capsaicin. (hot peppers) Hot mustard sometimes works, but it's a hassle.

Nest boxes with a "roll-away" feature work best to keep eggs safe from egg eaters.
That is pretty awesome.

Back
Top Bottom