i think my chick got a spider bite...

gumbii

Songster
9 Years
Oct 7, 2010
bell gardens, ca
i got some shamo chicks at the last BYC meet.... they're way too big for my brooder, so i put them outside on a small triangle tractor... i placed it over a nice new patch of grass, and threw the chicks out there... they've been out there for two days now...

anyways, i went to go throw my chickens a tuna subway sandwich that i didn't finish... LOL... but i noticed some of the chicks in there had blood on their beaks and feathers... this one had blood all over it's legs... so i took him out, washed her (hope it's her) outside with the hose and a new sponge i have... i noticed it looked like a pimple of some sort with a bit of black red on one side... i think that was like a vein or something...

i took her in my hand, and walked her to my neighbor's house for a second opinion.. i thought it was an ingrown feather... HAHAHHA>.. newb... but since they don't have feathers on their keel bone, i dunno... he said that it looked like a spider bite, and i should squeeze it out... sigh... exactly what i didn't want to do... so i took her home, squeezed it out, and yep... seems like a spider bite... a bunch of gross flesh was coming out... i've been bit by spiders before, and i know she was in pain, so i did it fast... went in there with tweezers as well to take out all of the nasty stuff... then i got some neosporin and put some inside and gave her a thin layer on the outside...

now my question is... is this enough...? i threw her back outside since it's getting dark, i know they'll just go right to sleep and stop messing with it... i also don't want to separate her because you know why... they start crying and stuff... i don't like doing that to my chicks...

so... again...

was that enough..? should i put more stuff on her...? should i quarantine..?

i think i'm going to throw a bunch of DE all over them and the ground to prevent flies or maggots... yuck...

thanks for reading... and no, no pics... sorry...

I would put her by herself the others might make is worse. As for helping i dont know
sad.png

Quote:
thanks for the reply...

i checked on her a bit ago... mainly because i had an epic crazy day, and i forgot about her... but she's fine... it's a little sore, but no blood, they aren't pecking her or anything... but it's still a bump... so i'm gonna give it one more day, if it still looks bad, i might have to dig it out and stitch it... well, that's what one breeder just told me... i hope it doesn't get to this... i'll keep you guys updated...

Quote:
She said spider bites not mites! But it was nice of you to look that info up!

i'm a he... LOL... but it's okay... whenever there isn't a pic, or any hint of gender in the username, i always thing the poster is a she... LOL...

but yeah... spider bite... today she looks extra chipper... the swollen went down a lot... so i guess i did a good job... there isn't any info on spider bites on the forum... i searched and read all kinds of random stuff...

I had a couple that I suspected got spider bitten last summer. DH had to put them out of their misery they where in so much pain they where writhing. I know we have brown recluse and I know how painful they are and the results of their bites being bitten several times. A small chick just couldn't survive such a bite.

Back
Top Bottom