I think my chicken has worms

egore

Hatching
Sep 23, 2021
My chicken has been lethargic for about 3 days now. I noticed it first when her balance was a little off. It has since gotten a little worse. She is able to walk, eat, and drink, but her balance is not great. Yesterday I noticed some mites and lice so treated her for that. Her belly seemed a bit swollen but its hard to say. I thought she might have been impacted with an egg but its been 3 days and she is still pooping normal. Today I saw her take a fresh poop and found what looks to be parts of worms, worms, or worm eggs. Here are some pics. Any input?

Attachments

• IMG_3262.jpeg
    IMG_3262.jpeg
    617.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3263.jpeg
    IMG_3263.jpeg
    733.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3264.jpeg
    IMG_3264.jpeg
    640 KB · Views: 27
I agree that she has tapeworms. Equimax horse wormer is good for those. Tapeworms are spread by eating the segments, and the intermediate hosts such as worms, beetles, flies, snails, and slugs who help spread them. If your vet does fecal floats, you might take some fresh droppings in to check for other more common worm eggs. Roundworms, cecal worms, gapeworm, and capillary worms are some of the others, and some of those may only be seen with a microscope.

As for her lethargy and swelling, she might also have a reproductive disorder or ascites (water belly.) Those are common in hens over 2. Does she normally lay eggs, or has she laid any soft or irregular eggs? Also, check her crop early in the morning, to make sure that it is emptying overnight and gradually filling up during the day. Offer water, scrambled egg, moistened chicken feed, and I would also give her 2 ml of Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell for a boost.

Can worms cause any type of swelling in the abdomen. She does seem a little bloated as well

I would imagine if there was a huge worm load. You'd be seeing other more serious symptoms before it got to that point though.

Back
Top Bottom