I think my chicken is dying! HELP!!!!!

brandibaby23

Songster
10 Years
Oct 13, 2009
New Paris, Pa 15554
I have an 8 or 9 month old ee hen, whom has laid green eggs just starting a few months ago. They eat layena egg layer, corn, oatmeal ocassionally, Live in a coop at night and completely free range during the day. She just started acting very clingy to me which was unusual, so last night I brought her in to spend the night in my furnace room slash, pet area. she ate and drank and pech through the pine shaving in her box but wasn't very active. I took her back out with the flock today for the day and this evening went out to check on her and she was in the same spot as where I put her down. Very lethargic, wants to lay down, I push on her and she will roll over. She ate a couple bites of oatmeal and scrabbled eggs about ten minutes ago but doesn't want to drink. I have felt her abdomen, vent arean and it feels normal, no egg stuck, I smelled her breath and felt her crop but nothing really seems abnormal, I looked her body over looking in her feathers and at her skin and nothing unusual, no mites or bug crawling anywhere, I am stumped. The only thing new is I got rid of 4 main roosters two days ago.

I just gave her a dose of poultry drench and poly-vi-sol. Any ideas?

Here is a picture of her a few minutes ago.
42887_2010_140.jpg

42887_2010_135.jpg

1) What type of bird , age and weight. 8 or 9 months
2) What is the behavior, exactly. sleepy, won't stand up
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? today, but been getting tame in past week or so
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No none of them
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. no idea got rid of a few roosters, no food change
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Ate layer crumbles from purina, and cracked corn, oatmeal,
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Poops are normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? poultry drench poly vi sol
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? no vet around here
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use pine shavings with straw mixed in for scratching around

Last edited:
I'm no expert but her crop looks huge especially for a hen that has only eaten a couple bites. Are you sure it is not pendulous crop or an impaction.

Good luck
Imp

There is no such thing as a depressed chicken so let's not confuss the OP and find her the real answer. You say she free ranges, which may indicate she may have gotten into something that was toxic, take a look around her range area for anything unusual.

AL

No I am not really sure of anything. The crop doesn't feel super full I can feel crumbles and corn in there, so she must have ate today sometime. It all moves around when I squeeze on it about the size of a tennis ball?

Quote:
The only thing about free ranging now is it has snowed and she hasn't been but in front of the coop, and I don't have anything out there, just shavings and hay that gets knocked out of the coop. But I guess it is possible but I wouldn't know what it would be. I don't use poisons, or pesticides or anything. no plants at this time of year. IDK?

Quote:
I think what your seeing is just feathers because she is fluffed up because I looked and it does look big but it is just her neck bone and feathers crop is sitting off to the right.

Quote:
I don't remember, I didn't think anything was wrong with her this morning. So I didn't even think to check. She ate like a cow all night last night, she had crumbles, pecked at some apples, a piece of a pickle, a sprinkle or cracked corn, she hopped in chick brooder and ate a little bit of chick feed before I got her out of there.

How would you know if they have worms?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom