I think my chicken is dying. what can I do for her?

More often than not, when I think a sick chicken is at death's door, a little nourishment and water with sugar is all it takes to revive them and effect a "miraculous" recovery.

Chickens can behave as if they are going to be dead within an hour when it's just dehydration or low glucose. Correcting those can have a dramatic result.

More often than not, when I think a sick chicken is at death's door, a little nourishment and water with sugar is all it takes to revive them and effect a "miraculous" recovery.

Chickens can behave as if they are going to be dead within an hour when it's just dehydration or low glucose. Correcting those can have a dramatic result.
For sure, it can be a true miracle. Sounds like tube feeding, and "Extraordinary measures" wont be necessary. I'm so glad she's doing better!

@buffy-the-eggpile-layer, how is Cordy doing today?
I'd say about the same. Hasn't gotten remarkably better nor palpably worse. If anything she's a bit stronger if the degree to which she fights force feeding is any gage. She's very tough. At 3x a day, it's become quite the herculean task. She still is not reliably eating enough on her own beyond a little grazing and sometimes watermelon/treats. Her poop is better formed with more fecal matter but still very green which is troubling. I'm hoping that's just a side effect of all the medications.

She preening, stays with her sisters, roosts, and sun bathes. She'll wander the yard although is slower than the others. I'm in it to win it, but sadly, my husband is growing weary--while he likes the chickens and supports my passion, he is of the 'let sick chickens die or cull' variety. He is not a chicken tender like me, which makes this two person job extra burdensome.

Thanks for asking!

My fear is the terminal nature of her issue (i.e. if we cure the infection, won't it recur again due to her reproductive issues, which I think include internal laying and/or salpingitis? My prayer is that she fully recovers AND molts/takes a break from laying so that I have time to figure out a plan. Perhaps a hormone implant, if I can find a willing vet. Otherwise, if she were able to miraculously restore her system from a laying break, that'd be beautiful.

I so appreciate your positive thoughts and practical advice. You and @Weeg have been a godsend.

My fear is the terminal nature of her issue (i.e. if we cure the infection, won't it recur again due to her reproductive issues, which I think include internal laying and/or salpingitis? My prayer is that she fully recovers AND molts/takes a break from laying so that I have time to figure out a plan. Perhaps a hormone implant, if I can find a willing vet. Otherwise, if she were able to miraculously restore her system from a laying break, that'd be beautiful.
Another way to give them a break is to try to encourage going broody. Of course yu can't force a hen to go broody, but some members/articles claim that locking them in a crate with eggs and a nest will make them go broody. :idunno
Adding nesting herbs also create a welcoming environment. Not sure if it actually works or not, but after she recovers it could be worth a try?
I so appreciate your positive thoughts and practical advice. You and @Weeg have been a godsend.
Awww, thanks. I'm just glad that Cordy is doing better, its such a relief and so rewarding when they start to make a turn around. 💕

Another way to give them a break is to try to encourage going broody. Of course yu can't force a hen to go broody, but some members/articles claim that locking them in a crate with eggs and a nest will make them go broody. :idunno
Adding nesting herbs also create a welcoming environment. Not sure if it actually works or not, but after she recovers it could be worth a try?

Awww, thanks. I'm just glad that Cordy is doing better, its such a relief and so rewarding when they start to make a turn around. 💕
Great ideas! She has gone broody once before so she has it in her. I will try anything and everything! I was also thinking of limiting sunlight to induce a molt or at least keep her from laying. That works for my EE, though the underpinning issues are different (overproductive layer v. internal layer). It's hard to keep her in the dark now because she so clearly thrives most being with her flock, and I think that encourages her to get better a bit more.

I'd say about the same. Hasn't gotten remarkably better nor palpably worse. If anything she's a bit stronger if the degree to which she fights force feeding is any gage. She's very tough. At 3x a day, it's become quite the herculean task. She still is not reliably eating enough on her own beyond a little grazing and sometimes watermelon/treats. Her poop is better formed with more fecal matter but still very green which is troubling. I'm hoping that's just a side effect of all the medications.

She preening, stays with her sisters, roosts, and sun bathes. She'll wander the yard although is slower than the others. I'm in it to win it, but sadly, my husband is growing weary--while he likes the chickens and supports my passion, he is of the 'let sick chickens die or cull' variety. He is not a chicken tender like me, which makes this two person job extra burdensome.

Thanks for asking!
Its really great that she isn't declining! Congrats on keeping her healthy and willing.
Its such a great sign that se sunbathing, roosting and foraging, that is a sure sign that she is feeling better, and has the will recover. ☺️
The green poop could be a side affect of the medications, she's getting nourishment so I wouldn't be surprised if it was because of the meds.

Back
Top Bottom