I think my chicken is sad. Am I crazy?

Quote:
Urban legend.

There does seem to be some conflciting info out there on this (though a fair amount of info indicating some parts of the brain were curiously smaller) so it probably wasn't the very best example, but was racing to get out the door to help set up for a nonprofit music festival today in the stinkin' 100+ degree heat! Stay cool everyone. Sounds pretty grizzly in many parts of the country.
JJ

Quote:
Last night I checked out a book from the library called "The Inner World of Farm Animals." The very first chapter is devoted to chickens and they tell several stories about chickens, specific events in their lives, and their corresponding emotions - joy, loss, happiness, sadness, you name it. Thanks for all of your wonderful examples as well!

Quote:
Yes, we are all very sad at our little urban homestead. I so very much wish I could speak "chicken" and tell Gertie what happened to her friend. Thank you for the well wishes!

Quote:
Hi JJ. Just curious, are you both "jjthink" and "jjthinkagain" or are you guys two different people?

In answer to your question, Gertie still has three flock mates. So she's definitely not alone. I have to say, I agree very much with your opinion about humans thinking they are "a cut above" chickens (and all other animals). As a society, it's much easier for us to feel okay about exploiting animals (farm animals especially) if we don't believe they have feelings, or more significantly, any intrinsic value or a reason for existing beyond what use they are to humans.

In my heart of hearts, I know that Gertie is sad. A selfish part of me didn't want to believe it because it would be easier for ME not to have that fact weighing on me.

You have a very good heart
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

jjthink and jjthinkagain are one in the same. For some reason if I visit the BYC site while at work (which I do for a few minutes when I can, as in when I'm on hold on the phone or while grabbing lunch) it doesn't recognize jjthink so one day I created jjthinkagain when I saw someone ugently needed help with an injured bird and no one had responded. I use that screen name somewhat sparingly.

Sending gentle hugs to your Gertie
hugs.gif

JJ

Edited to add a thank you for that book title - I will have to look for it!

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, we are all very sad at our little urban homestead. I so very much wish I could speak "chicken" and tell Gertie what happened to her friend. Thank you for the well wishes!

Don't let your lack of facility in "chicken speak" stop you. Since we have no idea how much animals get from us when we are attempting to communicate with them, or for that matter how they get it, why not go ahead and tell her? I tell my animals everything. Whether it is tone of voice, body language, or actual understanding, it seems to do something for them. I tell dogs and cats about upcoming vet visits and why, I explain to chickens about the bad hawk that got their flock-mates, etc.

It certainly can't hurt anything. Best case there will be some understanding, worst case you will feel better for having tried.

We are "somehow a cut above". There are no chicken Michelangelos, Einsteins or Copernicus's.

Well, there are also no chicken Hitlers, Stalins or Pol Pots, either. If you're going to credit our species with the good examples, I think it's only fair that we take the blame for the bad ones, too.​

I understand what you are going through! I have the same problem, I have a phoenix hen that acts sad because I moved her friend to the farm, but she doesn't get along with the roo, so I have to keep her by herself.
So next time she goes broody I am going to put some eggs under her so maybe she will feel better if she becomes a mommy!

Back
Top Bottom