I think my chicken is sick???????

jefff120

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 14, 2013
Massachusets
I just bought myself a beautiful black and white chicken I think she is an sshb but as I was looking at her I noticed she had some nasal discharge she is acting fine but idk it's very hot she has food and water

Keep her separated from the rest of your flock incase she is contagious! Most respiratory illnesses are. Keep an eye on her listen to her breathing.if mucus continues treat with tylan50. dose for small birds 1/4 cc large birds 1/2 cc given once daily into the breast muscle for 5 days. Tylan50 can be found at the feed store. Do NOT worry bottle says for cattle and swine. Many many poultry owners including myself successfully treat respiratory symptoms with tylan. I like the injectable because with water soul able antibiotics dose is contingent on amount drank so with injectable it is more consistent and gets into the blood stream faster. Tylan50 is the antibiotic Tylosin. Which is geared for upper respiratory symptoms. I hope this helps and wish you the best. Make sure she stays separated until she is well. Best wishes

One of my hens has a runny nose and it's clear but STINKY!! what is this? I just got her yesterday..
If it's a foul odor you smell, possibly accompanied by facial swelling; it could be Infectious Coryza. Here's a link, scroll down to Infectious Coryza and read about it including treatments. If in fact it is coryza, I recommend you cull the sick bird, it will spread to your other birds.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I was reading that the "sick" chicken must be Culled and that is not what I want to do. She is a BR Hen and is almost ready to start laying and her personality is so awesome. We called her "Dora" like the cartoon cause she was into eerything when we let her loose in the yard.
Her is her piccture:

Thank you Dawg iwill see if I can get some OTC remedy for Dora.
I'd hate to have to Cull her..
hit.gif

Try giving her sulfadimethoxine. Dosage is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water for 3 days. Then give her probios for 3 days. Also give her tylan 50 injectable orally, 1/2cc once a day for 5 days. Then probios again for another 3 days. Good luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom