I think my chickens hate their coop!

This is unnecessary. The chickens will be fine without the extra heat. If anything, the added element of the radiant heater could be more of an unnecessary risk.

I think raising the roost will help, but they definitely like it up high in the trees if they can get in them. If you can find an old shed, or build one, make sure it's high enough with some roost bars to make them feel safer and I think that will get them out of the tree where they are more susceptible to other predators!!
More than that it is more likely to deter than encourage use of the coop. Your coop is small and has fairly limited ventilation, their bodies alone will generate more than enough heat - adding additional heat into such a space is likely to make the coop more uncomfortable to them.

This is what I have... It's a thermo-chicken heater. It's secured like this photo and it only gets up to 100 degrees.

I've actually tried it both ways for them because I had concerns about the amount of heat it puts out.

-- plugged in

-- not plugged in

You can put your hand on the it and it's not hot to the touch.

They're more inclined to go inside at dusk and my RIR lays more frequently when it's plugged in...
hmm.png

Have you ever tried one? Do you have one? Maybe they're in too small of a space for it? It's only like 14 x 12 (the thermo heater) and is up against the wall.

You definitely don't need a coop heater in San Jose! I live in Massachusetts and it was just -5 with a wind chill of -25. I do not have a heater in the coop and the chickens were fine. Think about it this way - would you want to wear a big thick parka in a hot room? Chicken feathers = a parka.

Check out some of the coops on here. Maybe you can find a way to add onto and elevate your coop. Check out the hardiness of your chickens... They may never need heat in there. I put a heater pad in mine but it was -3 the other day with a -20 windchill and I have only 3 EE in the coop.

Try turning the heat off and see if it helps any. Remember, they have fur coats on...

It's all trial and error to see what works for you. Good luck!

Linnea1024, I live only a couple hours from you at the most, I have much more open coops with a lot more ventilation and I never add heat. They just don't need it in our climate. Those thick down jackets they wear are more then enough for our CA winters. Your challenge will be keeping them cool enough in there come summer. In CA we have to think fans, not heaters!
smile.png

Linnea1024, I live only a couple hours from you at the most, I have much more open coops with a lot more ventilation and I never add heat. They just don't need it in our climate. Those thick down jackets they wear are more then enough for our CA winters. Your challenge will be keeping them cool enough in there come summer. In CA we have to think fans, not heaters!
smile.png

x2
smile.png
Our climate is very mild and adding heat to the coop might make it uncomfortable? I worry about heat but cold has never been an issue here is Calif
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom