I think my chicks hate me

Got to look at it from their view! OMG, here comes the giant predator, run everyone!
lau.gif

Quote:
Definitely agree! Also, when you pick them up- try to scoop them up from underneath instead of reaching straight down and grabbing them. It's less predator-like. Good luck with your babies!
smile.png

thats what i do i pick them up from underneaths but its a bit hard with day olds who wont stop wriggling

treats are the key!

mine were scared of the big hand monster for the first few days...until they realized that the hand monster brought yummy treats!
wink.png

One other tip that I haven't read is to keep your fingers together. When they are seperate they look like claws. I remembered that from when I trained the horse I used to have.

That and find out what their weakness is regarding treats. Mine could care less about yogurt or eggs but give them mealworms, noodles or dry oatmeal and they go crazy for me.

Also, when you give the treats try to hand feed it. Don't just leave it in a bowl for them. It will help them to realize that just because a hand is near them they won't necessarily be picked up or even touched. After a day or two of this you can start moving your hand slowly into more normal positions like from above. If they move away go back to a more comfortable hand position for them. I think it's a lot like training a dog.

I second giving them time. My chicks were pretty standoffish at first and I'm the broody hen! They're now 8 days old and it started with one of them. My little favorite "Betty", would come out of the mosh and jump right into my hand. Then a day later and when Betty came over, so did an EE and the EE jumped in my hand with Betty. Then next thing I knew, I had little chicks perched up my arm when I put it in the brooder. There are a few who are still a little standoffish but with time and treats I think they'll come around too.

Mine were like that too, until I started digging up fresh earth worms. Now they run to the edge to see me when I walk by. Its super cute they start jumping up to see if I have any wormies.

I had the same problem with my 40 when they were little . Until they reached three weeks they would run away like a herd of lemmings.

Then I moved them to a bigger pen where I could stand with them around my feet and they went nuts for my shoes.

As I would bend over to add feed to their feeder or water, several would jump up and grab the strings from my hoodie. The tug-a-war was fun. Now I take a little stick with strings hanging down with me to the temporary coop for them to play with. My hand is close to their heads and they've adjusted quickly. It's a non-food treat they love. I stroke their backs with my other hand while they play.

Anything you can do to help your babies loose their hand-fear is always "a good thing".

I always have mealworms on hand since I feed them to my reptiles and exotics. Is it safe to hand feed them to young (about a week old) chicks? Lately I've just been using chick starter, they seem to think that it's "special" if its in my hand
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom