I think my girl is sick. :(

e72071

Songster
Apr 1, 2016
Long Island, NY
We have 6 8 week olds that we integrated into our flock. Took some time but they all seemed to have adjusted. Yesterday, out of the blue, 1 of our Polish was just laying there. She wouldn't eat, wouldn't move, didn't fight from being picked up.

I went out with her again today and she still won't, move, eat or drink. I picked her up and held her for a good while. I had a tiny container of water I would dip her beak in. She would drink it. However she still won't eat, won't move when you put her down. While I was holdering her I checked her crop, wings, vent and everything seems fine.

I don't know what's wrong with her. She does have a large head of hair already. Is it possible she just. Any see? Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4485.JPG
    IMG_4485.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4486.JPG
    IMG_4486.JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4487.JPG
    IMG_4487.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4488.JPG
    IMG_4488.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 5
While she may have some trouble seeing, polish can usually see down where the water and food are. At 8 weeks, when one is acting sluggish and not eating, I would wonder about possible coccidiosis. Symptoms of cocci are lethargy, weakness, refusal to eat and later, to drink, runny poops with mucus or sometimes blood, and standing still hunched or puffed up. Corid (amprollium) from a feed store is the proper treatment. Dosage is 1 1/2 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp of the liquid Corid per gallon of water, as the only source, for 7 days. Treat all chicks at the same time, since it is very safe. She could have become dehydrated in the summer heat, or is being kept from water by the others. At the least, I would use some electrolytes in her water, and continue to get her drinking. Most people have to trim the feathers around the eyes, but get some help. If they are cut too short or to much they can bleed, so do a few at a time.
shopping
shopping

Can you put both the electrolytes and corrid in the water at the same time? I also don't think my little one is going to make it. I was with her today and she won't drink now. She fusses a little when you pick her up but that's it. My heart is breaking for her and I don't know what to do.

Do you have the liquid Corid or the powder? You can give her 2 drops of the liquid Corid, or add 2 tsp or 10 ml to 1 1/2 tsp of the powder Corid to make the same concentration. After that give her the treated water with Corid if you have it. Otherwise, give electrolyte water, as much as you can get her to take. Treat all chickens at once with the Corid water. I hope you can save her, but it might be too late.

I have the liquid. I gave her some water with electrolytes yesterday. She didn't take much but I did see her take a couple swallows but nothing to really speak of.

So are you saying to give her a tsp of corrid straight, not diluted? How often should I do that or should that be just the first dose?

Thank you for your help. I've never had a sick chick before so I'm not sure what to do.

Back
Top Bottom