i think my hen is sick!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Smf0723, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Smf0723

Smf0723 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    My hen is in my nesting box and she is makeing a wierd noise,and when i touched her she made the wierd noise.she wont come out.i'm really worried. Is she sick??????

2. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    Is it possible that she is broody. Is she fluffed up? Does she have eggs under her? How old is she?

3. Smf0723

Apr 12, 2012
    I got them in April soooooo for either 7 or 8 months. I got my eggs earlier today so i'm not sure if she is being broody. this morning she was sitting on eggs and making the noise.

4. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    I have a couple of hens that will sit in the nest box for a couple of hours after I collect the egg that she is sitting on. Sometimes they just like to chill for a while. If she is sleeping on the nest overnight for a couple of days then I would say she has gone broody.

5. Usually they don't like to be touched while 'doing there thing' i've learned from experience :p i got pecked! She might be broody, theres a chance of that, but sometimes hens have trouble laying eggs so that could be it too.

6. DaniellePage

DaniellePage Out Of The Brooder

7. How long has she been sitting there? Does she ever come out?

8. larsonll

larsonll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    West Georgia
    She sounds broody. I was worried like this when my Maran did the same thing. I could even push her off the nest and she would lie face down like she was paralyzed. I came to this forum for help and watched the Youtube movies and that was the same behavior. The only hard part was breaking the broodiness, which we accomplished by buying 10 fertilized eggs for her to hatch! 3 hatched.

Note: You may want to take the chicks away if your flock is confined. My hens have a run of 10 square feet apiece but the head hens killed the chicks when the Maran brought them out of the hen house at day 3.

9. Smf0723

Apr 12, 2012
    shes been sitting there since like 12 in the afternoon

10. DaniellePage

DaniellePage Out Of The Brooder

if she is broody, she will sit for weeks and hardly eat or drink. - if you have no eggs for her to hatch and she is broody then you will need to "break" her.

\\every hen id different - so look it up in BYC for techniques

I just took the eggs out of the nest (real and fake ones) so she had nothing to sit on and tempted her with treats.
    she bit so, I wore a leather glove to take the eggs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by