i think my hen is sick!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smf0723

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
My hen is in my nesting box and she is makeing a wierd noise,and when i touched her she made the wierd noise.she wont come out.i'm really worried. Is she sick??????

I got them in April soooooo for either 7 or 8 months. I got my eggs earlier today so i'm not sure if she is being broody. this morning she was sitting on eggs and making the noise.

I have a couple of hens that will sit in the nest box for a couple of hours after I collect the egg that she is sitting on. Sometimes they just like to chill for a while. If she is sleeping on the nest overnight for a couple of days then I would say she has gone broody.

She sounds broody. I was worried like this when my Maran did the same thing. I could even push her off the nest and she would lie face down like she was paralyzed. I came to this forum for help and watched the Youtube movies and that was the same behavior. The only hard part was breaking the broodiness, which we accomplished by buying 10 fertilized eggs for her to hatch! 3 hatched.

Note: You may want to take the chicks away if your flock is confined. My hens have a run of 10 square feet apiece but the head hens killed the chicks when the Maran brought them out of the hen house at day 3.

shes been sitting there since like 12 in the afternoon

if she is broody, she will sit for weeks and hardly eat or drink. - if you have no eggs for her to hatch and she is broody then you will need to "break" her.

\\every hen id different - so look it up in BYC for techniques

I just took the eggs out of the nest (real and fake ones) so she had nothing to sit on and tempted her with treats.
she bit so, I wore a leather glove to take the eggs
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom