I think my male goose is... not interested in females...

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
He will be a year old this April... And i have not seen him even TRY to breed his mate....
hmm.png

I want baby fuzzy geese!!
rant.gif
Is he just too young?
Also..my female will also be a year this April...and no eggs yet....
hu.gif

Last edited:
He is probably too young. My embden will be a year in June, and he acts like he wants to figure it out, but that's only when I take him to the pond. I think he is just too young, as the 10 month old blue american goose is a big flirt, she tries everything to get him to breed with her
lol.png

My american goose just started laying eggs about a week ago, she will be a year on May 7. But it has been fairly decent weather-wise here for a few weeks, how's the weather been in your neck of the woods? Have your ducks started laying yet?

duck&chickencrazy :

are you sure its a male?

Good question!
lol.png
yes..i'm pretty sure it is... He acts like one anyways...
hmm.png

AND..i spoke to soon about my female..she laid her first egg today!
celebrate.gif
Now to just get them fertilized...
hmm.png

Spring is coming..maybe he'll get interested soon...
fl.gif

He guards her..and follows her around... and acts like her mate...but he just isnt interested in breeding yet.... OR he dosent know how to do it??
idunno.gif

I've read so many conflicting things about geese. But what I think the general consensus is is that the ganders don't usually breed at 1 year old. I'm sure there are breeds that do, just as there are individuals that do. I'm not counting on my embden at all, whenever the goose comes near him, he bites her. He has no desire to protect her at all! So instead I'm just getting eggs from other people to hatch
lau.gif

Quote:
LOL..he bites her... Thats too funny!
lol.png

Yeah..i may have to get some eggs from people too...
roll.png

I'm suppose to have a pair of sebbies, and I haven't seen them mate yet either. One is larger than the other so I assume it's the male and they are protective of each other. I haven't seen any eggs yet either, but I'm worried about the eggs because they are egg eaters!!

Every time I fill my geese pools they go at like it was a ''hottub party'' with martini's
lau.gif
gig.gif
. Give them plenty of water to play in and they'll get turned on...
hide.gif

We have two ponds, a big one and a tiny one that is maybe 20 feet accross. Apparently the tiny one is the "happy pond." Mine are like college students on spring break.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom