I think my peachick has blackhead? HELP!

Yes, the peachick passed...It wasn't with chickens, but not on wire. There were many flies around their cage. The food was medicated.
roll.png

Quote:
I didn't quite understand that, Whats it called and whats the dosage---THANKS i will definatley try this my pea has been sick for 2 days.

I am not sure what my pea has. but i don'tthink its black head. My other pea has solid brown droppings and the sick one has white runy with a did of brown solid. I am goig to get meds TOMARROW!!!! So what should i get considering idk what it has.

Your first post did sound like blackhead. Now you don't think so? If it is blackhead check out Metronidazole as a treatment. I bought some to have on hand just in case.

Quote:
I didn't quite understand that, Whats it called and whats the dosage---THANKS i will definatley try this my pea has been sick for 2 days.

Ok i got the Tylan and Poly-vi-sol now what? How much tylan a day and do i need to give it to my guineas and other pea that are with my sick pea. How much tylan???

Last edited:
Quote:
Why so many flies? Insects carry diseases....maybe the chick ate one. Can you clean up whatever the flies are after? I'm having to clean up my dogs droppings daily or the flies congregate but haven't had a problem in the peafowl aviary. I do you DE and Sevin Dust ..... also somewhat keep the droppings cleaned up.

Quote:
Here it is "I recently had a week old peachick I thought was going to die for sure. Last year I read on backyardchickens that Tylan 50 anti biotic is like a wonder drug so used it on a peachick that was ill then. I saw a change immediately. Gave this peachick some too but kept researching for remedies. Read to give the chick 1 to 2 drops of Poly-Vi-Sol children's liquid vitamins so rushed to grocery store and bought some. The next morning .... after looking like death was at it's door step I went out on the closed in back porch and it had flown out of the box and was walking around on the floor. I was amazed. Dosage for Tylan 50 (bought at Tractor Supply) was 1/4 cc or mL (they are the same) in the mouth for 2 days. I used 1 drop of Poly-Vi-Sol early morning and late in day for 2 days. NEVER put it back in their throat unless you know what you're doing. It can go down the wrong opening and kill it. I put it in the front to center part of it's beak and let it drink it on it's own. If you miss and spill some give a little more."

Quote:
Bird your from Oregon too, do we have black head here? I have my birds penned and we have never had any disease problems, we worm twice a year, once before and once after laying season. Can you give me a heads up to local bird issues here?

It sounds very much like coccidiosis that my chicks had, and I asked for help here on BYC, and they told me to get corid. The treatment is 9 1/2 cc for a gallon in their water for 5 days. I did it and have not lost anymore chicks!

Back
Top Bottom