I think my roosters are trying to mate...with ME

RECE*2C*

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 21, 2010
oswego
I have 2 roosters and today when i was out with them i was trying to take pictures of them and every time i would put my hand in the run (i was doing it from the top so they wouldn't run away) one would turn side ways put one wing down and move his feet really fast tours me and then the other one would run tours him and peck him and then they would switch, is that what they are doing?

Last edited:
They could also be doing there this is my territory back off lady dance.... I am not an expert on rooster behavior since this is the first year I have one but I know they have certain strange gestures of warnings & attacks... But maybe he does fancy the unfeathered?!?!?

I thought of that too but would they attack each other to do the same "dance" to me if they were doing a territory dance?
this is my first time with chickens too i got them at 1 day old and they are 20 week old now and these to roosters are the only ones that i have so i really have no clue. lol

Last edited:
They do that when they are getting ready to 'court' the hen. I think it's like a love dance. TeeHee.
Mine will do that when he is coming towards me to be pet.
They also do it to their hens. I guess it could also be a warning...look out baby here i come...:)
:)

oh god well i dont want them to fight and i surely am not going to mate with them ...lol... what do i do?

Last edited:
thanks every one
smile.png

My dominant rooster, Carl, actually courts me, sometimes. Now and then he will start the Rooster Wing Down Circle Dance Of Love if I'm standing still, and I just walk away.

If I'm sitting somewhere for a while, Carl occasionally comes up to me, makes the little purring, "come hither, girls" sound, and presents me with an oddly shaped small rock or a nice twig or a pretty leaf. He puts it at my feet, looks up at me, then moves the gift again to make sure I saw it.

I generally tell him "Nice, thank you," but do NOT accept the gift. Often I'll just turn on my... axis... to face a slightly different direction to ignore him.

If I were to accept his present, I'd become one of his hens. So I don't do that.

However, I am really touched that he's courting me. It's adorable behavior.

Back
Top Bottom