I think my silkie is sick *** update all better I think thanks!***

AHappychick

Wanna-be Farmer
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
westchester
I just bathed them (I kept her head above water the whole time) and noticed it falling asleep while drying and then gasping a bit I got it on video please watch it and tell me if this is something I need to treat and how?

Last edited:
Wow, I have dialup, so that was hard to view. However, it does sound like she might have ingested some water. Get her blow dried and keep her in a warm darkish place. Not pitch black...just subdued lighting. Offer her some hard boiled egg...see if she responds to it. I think she will probably be OK...just get her perfectly dry, and keep her warm.

Quote:
well she is choosing to stand directly under the heat lamp. I did not notice her doing it but I was so busy trying to deal with my 3 year old (his voice in video) and she was not happy about being taken from her coop so I dont really know.... I tried giving her bread soaked in olive oit incase her crop was impacted (read on different post) but she wont eat. wont drink either....

I had to give my polish hen a bath not too long ago. She did the same thing- I thought she was going to die of a heart attack, or that I drowned her somehow (even though I was extra careful while bathing her). But, I think she was just stressed by the whole experience. Once I put her in the dog crate to dry and relax, she calmed down within a half hour or so. I'd just let her relax, keep offering her water and scrambled egg or yogurt (mine likes warm baby food- banana, sweet potato, turkey). She should be fine. But, if she continues to gasp for a long period of time, seek further help. Good luck- sending positive thoughts!

I dont know she is almost completely dry and still is doing it but only when she starts to fall asleep. She does not do it when she is allert which is for a few minutes at a time then she starts to get sleepy. The other Silkie is completely allert. ugg.....

Quote:
so yours did it just like mine is doing it in the video, oh I hope that is all it is, I have huge, grandious plans for these silkies LOL

Back
Top Bottom