I think one of my hens is a reincarnated cat.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mandelyn, Oct 5, 2009.

1. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Prissy, my Olde English hen, will fly onto my shoulder, or jump into my lap if I'm sitting. She'll cuddle into me, and sleep. Likes her head and tail petted. "Purs" in soft hen speak when you pet her.

Only have had her about a week now, and she's very cat like! I think there was a chicken killing cat, and god saw fit to reincarnate her as a chicken. LOL She's really something else.

I have to put her down and tell her to be a "real chicken". She's as bad as my little worthless dog who gets all insulted when I toss him outside with the "real dogs".

This is the first time a chicken has demanded to be a pet. All the others I've ever owned I had to convince. Or they were simply tolerant of it in exchange for food. But this hen... she's something else!

2. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

ha ha that is so cute!!!

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I was sitting outside crying one afternoon and had cats & d'Uccles competing to sit in my lap and comfort me. Normally the hens jump out of my lap when the cats show up. Not this time. I finally had to laugh because the hens refused to give ground and the cats were highly offended at having to share my lap. It was really sweet and I felt comforted.

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:May you have many more episodes of cat/chicken comforting. (Hugs)

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Just curious, is she the lowest ranking chicken? My 2 bottom of the pecking order girls will fly up on my arm to get treats. I figure it's the only way they can be sure of getting them. I let them have some before I put them down.

6. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    No, she's actually queen bee when her man is near. The other hen is a little pecky, but only when the Rooster isn't near. The lowest is the mean hen's pullet, who scrurries to me when she can't find her momma. (her momma doesn't watch her anymore, and won't answer her cries, so I answer, and she runs to me)

7. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

I think I have one thats part duck. It loves to play in water puddles [​IMG]

8. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:It really is amazing when they ALL know something is wrong and they get in your face. There is nothing you can do but laugh. It is all part of their master plan. [​IMG]

9. JestersEye

JestersEye Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Mullica Twp., NJ
    The episode of sharing your lap with chickens and cats sounds like my experience with my affectionate cat. I was sitting with our new baby chicks, letting them climb on me and hop around. Then, the cat decided she wanted to snuggle with me. She does this often, but seems to become even more insistent whenever my attention is being "showered" on other recipients beside her. Actually, it seemed like she wanted to help "mother" the chicks... sniffing them and touching them gently with her paw from time to time. It was very sweet and cute! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by