1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think one of my leghorn pullets is having an identity crisis

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chew593, May 5, 2009.

1. Chew593

Chew593 Chillin' With My Peeps

I bought these little ones out of the pullet bin almost 2 weeks ago. Could it be more obvious? Or could they still both be girls?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  2. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    It is suspicious, but give it more time!

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I would agree. Suspicious, but nothing definite yet.

4. Chew593

I'm actually kind of excited... I was just going to do the egg thing, but the more I read about hatching eggs the more I want to try... now I might not have to borrow one of my neighbors roos. [​IMG]

5. cindyanne1

cindyanne1 Mother Goose

Apr 19, 2009
    Central Ohio
    What is is that you're seeing that makes you suspicious they are males? I'm a newbie to all of this and I didn't think you could tell by just looking that early! But I'd like to know what you're seeing to maybe find out if any of my "girls" are actually "guys," lol!!

(and like you, I wouldn't be too upset. I'm actually hoping my chick order next week comes with a few male packing peanuts! [​IMG])

6. Chew593

Quote:I only think the one in the front is a male. It has a large comb (mohawk) on the top of his head and his legs are way thicker then his 'sisters' but at 2.5 weeks of age anything is possible. They say there's really no way of knowing until they crow or lay an egg.

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

The leg size is the clue that I would use most right now. But, the comb suggests that you are going to get lucky and have a pair of chickens after all. Are they light brown leghorns ????? If they are I am SO jealous !

8. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    Roo in front. Other one is a pullet.

9. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    At two weeks my brown leghorn pullet's wing feathers were quite long, like the chick on the right. Chick on the left looks roo-ish to me....thicker legs and feathering more slowly...plus I can see the comb on the left one but not on the right (could be just the way she's holding her head in the photo, though).

10. sangel4you

sangel4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    I have 5 white leghorns that were all supposed to be pullets and at this point I have a couple that have larger coombs than the others bt showin no other signs so that alone I don't think you can go by...

here's one of the ones I was questioning, and the second pic is that one with another girl...and the coombs are different by almost 4-5mm at this point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good luck- I hope you get what you wish for! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by