I think one of my new chicks might not make it... :( HELP?

djestrella1

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 17, 2010
I just got 4 new chicks last week - 3 ameraucanas and 1 black sex linked chicken. My black girl was really full of energy when I got her, along with the rest. But, she is the smallest. They are about 5-7 days old. This morning I found she had a bit of pasty butt, so I cleaned her up and have been watching her all day. She is not eating, not drinking and sleeping - a lot!

What should I do?

If it is likely that she will not make it, should I separate her from the other chicks?

Any advice?

Thanks!

Sad mama!

Add some sugar to the water to give her a boost of energy. Or children's PediaLyte, the one with no iron.

One of the sad things is that chicks just die. "Failure to thrive," they call it. It's nothing you've done, it just happens.

But try the sugar water.

Hi gryeyes,

I will try the sugar water for sure! Thanks for the suggestion.
Yeah, I figured some just won't survive. But, I just hope to give them every chance I can.
big_smile.png

Thanks again!

Quote:
Do any of them have bloody poop? Are they on medicated or non medicated crumbles?
The important thing is to make sure they are warm enough. Then take a syringe (without the needle) and get her to drink some water. Once they start to become dehydrated they won't have a desire to eat or drink. If you don't have a syringe what also works is to take a small measuring spoon and while holding her in one hand raise the spoon of water up to her beak and gentley get her beak wet. Keep doing this until she realizes that it is water. Once you see her swallowing a few times she might just perk up enough to drink on her own. Keep her warm and have free choice food available with water available at all times (that goes without saying) Don't assume however that because the water is there that she will drink.
Keep up with the watering by hand and offering the crumbles in your had as well until you see she is stronger and eating by herself.
As for seperating her that may not be a bad Idea but do make sure she has the heat available which means you will have two brooders going.
I use the biggest clear rubbermaid tub for my chicks. I have a clamp on light or a lamp on a stand with the flexible neck so it can bend down into the tub.

I had one chick that was listless and didn't seem to want to eat or drink. Once I took him out and got him to drink he made a complete turnaround, however he was older.

One thing you have to look out for is if the chicks aren't getting enough heat they will pile on top of one another and they can actually smother the chicks underneath. This would be especially dangerous with a weak chick that gets piled on.

Unfortuneately you may lose her. It just happens and their is nothing you can do about it but hopefully knowing you tried your best will bring you some comfort.

Oh and if there is bloody poop you will have to treat for coccidiosis even if you are using medicated feed.

Good luck, please keep us posted.

Hello!

Well, I think the sugar water helped.
I am not sure what was wrong, but my little "Teeny" is doing very well!

Thanks to everyone for their help and wonderful suggestions.

Have a great day!

Quote:
I am so glad to hear that Teeny is doing better:weee Keep an eye on him, the others may be keeping from the food and water and that will make him weak.

Have a Merry Christmas and give Teeny a little chicken hug from up here in NE WI.

If yall got some yogurt mix up little bit of that wit teh med feed. Migt jus need some good bactirea in her gut. Keep her pooper cleen so she dont get all backed up. Keep that brooder cleen to. hope she dos better.

Back
Top Bottom