i think she has an extra toe?? (with pics)

akaxo

Songster
9 Years
Mar 31, 2010
Christchurch, New Zealand
so this is cankles (my girlfriend named her that because her legs are way thicker than the others), she's about six months old now. i have no idea what breed she is, we were told she was a bantam cross and that's it.

52805_cankles02.jpg

anyway she appears to have an extra toe on one foot at the back. sorry i don't know the correct term but instead of the one out the back of her foot there's two, one is noticeably smaller than the other. i had a hard time getting a decent photo of it as she was brought up with no human contact and is still getting used to us but you can kind of make it out in this photo on the back foot.

52805_cankles03.jpg

just wondering if this is normal? only just noticed it. it's not like she is at all bothered by it, just never seen anything like that before in my limited time of chicken keeping...

There are certain breeds that have 5 toes: Silkies and Houdans are some examples. Both these breeds have 5 toes per foot and are crested, so your girl is probably a mix of one of the two. There are others that have 5 toes, but these are the only 2 I can think of that also have crests.

oh cool, thanks, good to know. just struck me as a bit odd seeing as it was just on the one foot. haven't had much of a chance to look at her close up seeing as she is still a bit scared of us. she's getting a bit braver though as she doesn't want to miss out on treats
smile.png

*edited to correct spelling*

Last edited:
I don't know how many toes a Buckeye has, but they are supposed to be a deep dark red with a black tail. I think the better clue is that this hen has white legs... what breeds have white legs?

Jenny

Quote:
I don't think that's an indicator of the breed in this instance, I have a hen that is a silkie and OEG cross, she has 'light' legs and 5 toes per foot. I've had chicks from her that had white legs and 5 toes, but I know she's a silkie mix.

Last edited:
Some of my Houdans have five toes on one or both feet and have white legs. Maybe she is a Houdan cross.

Back
Top Bottom