I think the chick is stuck in egg. plz look!!!! need help!!!!!!!

8silkies

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
this chick made it first crack yesterday at about 2pm. it doesn't look like a normal crack though. is hasn't moved or made the crack bigger since 5pm yesterday. what should i do? should i try and help it out? any suggestions would be great. i was trying to get a pic but it wouldn't turn out good b/c of the glare from the window on the incubator.

the crack looked like maybe the chick's beak or toe was sticking out, but there is this dried up subtance on the egg that came out of the crack. it might of been yolk, or blood maybe (i cant tell cuz its dry).

ill try to get a good pic and post it if i can.

thanks.

I would bet that the humidity is too low and the membrane is too dry for the chick to move.
If you think that it hasnt made any progress in enough time than you can help the baby out.
Try to pick the shell only and leave the membrane, and then use a warm wet-damp washcloth to wrap the egg and wipe the membrane off the chick. If you see any blood at all STOP. and wait a while befor you proceed.

my first one started yesterday at noon. He/She didn't finish hatching til just about an hour ago. I wanted to help it too but chose to leave it be. If they are going come they will come. I talked to mine every time I walked by the bator. I figured my wife talks to her plants so why not. LOL;)

okay i started gently picking off some of the shell and wet down the membrane. through the membrande i could see blood vessels, but it wasn't leaking out, i think it was blood vessels that were already abosorbed. i dont know if i should continue on, or leave it alone now.

everytime i try to help a chick out of the egg it comes out with a bit of the yolk that hasn't quite absorbed into the baby yet. i hate to se chicks die in the egg but they usually die when i help them out too. i have had them start hatching and then the membrane dries to them and they aren't able to turn around in the egg to cut completely around it.

i took off the complete shell and so just the membrane was left and i saw about a nickel sized yolk. also, the chick was not breathing, before or after i started. do you think it might've just given up and died in the shell? right now i have it wrapped up in a wet wash cloth in the incubator. how long should i wait? what should i do with it?

during my last hatching i had 7 out of 40 that died in the shell. its pretty dissapointing to know that they made it that far just to die at the last minute. i guess that's just part of it. i've seen wild quail nests that have had the exact same thing happen.

I believe you still have other eggs waiting to hatch? If so, I would NOT open the bator again to get him out. If he is dead there is nothing you can do for him anyway.

One little hint for getting decent pics through the bator.....I turn off the flash on the camera and hold a flashlight to the window. I get some really clear pics that way.

Quote:
yes, we still have 6 more eggs in the bator. today is the 22 1/2 day though and still no cracks or rocking. do you think they could still possibly hatch? i am praying that they will. the other chick was dead, so we removed him and added more water (humidity was too low). i will not open the bator again. i'll keep everyone posted on what happens.

thanks for the picture tip
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom