I think we have a roo

cparkerpants

Chirping
7 Years
May 16, 2015
We got some chicks from a friend to add to our flock. We have 6 RSLs that are great, friendly birds. We didn't want a rooster, just because we don't have any need for fertilized eggs. After debating about the pros and cons of having a roo, we decided we don't necessarily need to re-home this bird if it ends up being a "he" - I just don't know a lot about fertilized eggs vs. un-fertilized. I think the 9:1 ratio will be ok, once this little dude hits sexual maturity. Or - I might not need to worry. S/he did grab one of the other young birds this morning by the neck and and hopped on her a little, so - just a bossy girl or a maturing boy? The littles are probably 16 weeks or so, and my RSLs are 10 months old at this point. I have learned almost everything from this site about caring for my flock. Thanks in advance!
(ignore the messy coop, I haven't scooped it yet this morning
idunno.gif
)

Shoot. I wasn't sure about the silkie. I was just hoping that s/he might be maturing... I don't think 2:8 will work. I know very little about roosters. Someone might have to find a new residence...

cparker, I'm not sure about the one you're asking about, but the silkie is deffinately a roo. Two roos would be fine together with 8 hens, if they're never separated they should get along forever.

June, that's deffinately a roo.

Oh Madam! Really? I was worried they'd drive the girls or each other crazy! They are free most days all day, and in a run at dusk and dawn, and locked in the coop overnight. We live in the woods, and have lost 2 of our RSLs to unknown predators. I have a lot of questions about having roosters, though. Probably kind of dumb, but - here goes... If the roos start mating the hens, how do we prevent unplanned chicks? If we collect the eggs everyday, they won't mature, right? People ask me all the time how we have eggs without roosters. People don't seem to understand that the only things roosters add to reproduction is fertilization. My sweetie is adamant that our flock remain pretty small. He loves the flock we have, so we don't want to bite off more than we can chew, so to speak. Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom