I thought I was a brahma, whose my mamma?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cat, Oct 16, 2008.

1. cat

cat Songster

Jul 9, 2008
    I got this little chick that was supposed to be a brahma. Now I have spoken with Gritstar and she tells me there is no such thing as a black brahma so we are unsure of just what she is (except lovely)
    here are a bunch of pictures... any guesses?

this is me as a chick

[​IMG]

now I am 6 months old, but I am not laying yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Songster

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    idk. maybe she is a brama but really idk

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Cat, every time I look at the pics she does look exactly like my dark brahma hens. I just can't quite figure out that coloring.
    Going to look for a pic of my dark hens for you to see. If I can't find one, I'll go take one straight away.
    Thanks for your lovely PMs. Now if I could just figure out a way to get to Ireland. [​IMG]

4. rizq

rizq Songster

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    The standard of perfection recognizes only light, buff, and dark brahma. They can, however, be found in other colors. I believe other countries standards recognize other colors. I have seen black, blue partridge, blue, gold, and partridge in addition to the three columbian varieties recognized here. It could be a Brahma, but black is not a color recognized here.

You can see a blue brahma rooster at this site http://www.freewebs.com/professorchickensbreeds/brahma.htm. I think it is okay to post this, right? I don't think they are competitors of BYC as far as I can see. It is not a US site, but I'm not sure what country this is in.

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    What rizq said is kinda what I'm leaning towards. When we first discussed it I was unaware that you weren't in the US.
    At any rate, I took some pics. The first pic was taken about a week ago and shows my dark brahma roo with two dark hens. The other pics I took just now. You can see some of each. The buff hen on the right side of the pic has some dark ancenstry, near as we can tell.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With your pretty hen I'm gonna have to go with BLACK brahma. I stand corrected. [​IMG]

6. rizq

rizq Songster

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    I have to get some of those dark and buff brahmas! They are gorgeous! Will have to order more chicks in the spring lol. I guess we will have room since it looks like 24 of our 26 light brahmas are roos [​IMG]

7. cat

cat Songster

Jul 9, 2008
    thank you all so much.

Gritsar your chickens are lovely.

Rizq, 24 roos, that is certainly more than your fair share!

8. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Songster

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    She appears to have a single comb, so I would say she is a Black Cochin.

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Kentucky I'm going to take the liberty of answering for cat here since her hours are different from ours here in the states.
    I thought black cochin too, until she told me the farmer she got her from doesn't have any cochins. [​IMG]

10. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    There are black brahmas and she would have a pea comb if she is pure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: