I thought I was a brahma, whose my mamma?

cat

Songster
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
I got this little chick that was supposed to be a brahma. Now I have spoken with Gritstar and she tells me there is no such thing as a black brahma so we are unsure of just what she is (except lovely)
here are a bunch of pictures... any guesses?

this is me as a chick

DSC00372.jpg

now I am 6 months old, but I am not laying yet.

DSC00513.jpg

DSC00510.jpg

DSC00507.jpg

DSC00508.jpg

DSC00516.jpg

Cat, every time I look at the pics she does look exactly like my dark brahma hens. I just can't quite figure out that coloring.
Going to look for a pic of my dark hens for you to see. If I can't find one, I'll go take one straight away.
Thanks for your lovely PMs. Now if I could just figure out a way to get to Ireland.
wink.png

The standard of perfection recognizes only light, buff, and dark brahma. They can, however, be found in other colors. I believe other countries standards recognize other colors. I have seen black, blue partridge, blue, gold, and partridge in addition to the three columbian varieties recognized here. It could be a Brahma, but black is not a color recognized here.

You can see a blue brahma rooster at this site http://www.freewebs.com/professorchickensbreeds/brahma.htm. I think it is okay to post this, right? I don't think they are competitors of BYC as far as I can see. It is not a US site, but I'm not sure what country this is in.

What rizq said is kinda what I'm leaning towards. When we first discussed it I was unaware that you weren't in the US.
At any rate, I took some pics. The first pic was taken about a week ago and shows my dark brahma roo with two dark hens. The other pics I took just now. You can see some of each. The buff hen on the right side of the pic has some dark ancenstry, near as we can tell.

thorbig001.jpg

catblack002.jpg

catblack001.jpg

With your pretty hen I'm gonna have to go with BLACK brahma. I stand corrected.
wink.png

I have to get some of those dark and buff brahmas! They are gorgeous! Will have to order more chicks in the spring lol. I guess we will have room since it looks like 24 of our 26 light brahmas are roos
he.gif

thank you all so much.

Gritsar your chickens are lovely.

Rizq, 24 roos, that is certainly more than your fair share!

Quote:
Kentucky I'm going to take the liberty of answering for cat here since her hours are different from ours here in the states.
I thought black cochin too, until she told me the farmer she got her from doesn't have any cochins.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom