i took in a rescue bunny...his eye seems infected..

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
..hello..my cousin called me saying that her co-worker found a bunny in her mail box......now i Know the Easter Bunny didnt leave him cause its WAY past easter...
idunno.gif
...so i'm assuming someone just dumped him..
somad.gif
...so i took him in...
th.gif
...but i just noticed his eye seems to be a bit infected...can i use an antibiotic that i have left over from my cats eye infection?....the name if it is.."Neo-Poly_Dex"...the active ingredients are..Neomycin Sulfate..polymyxin B sulfate and Dexamethasone..(whatever those are..
roll.png
).....i also have some Erythromycin eye ointment(for cats)...does any one have any ideas what else i could use?....thanks so much, Wendy

I would use the erythromycin because if there is a "fungal" element the one with the steriod (dexamethysone) will make it worse. if it is an infection the e-mycin will work o.k.
good luck and bunny power!

thank you so much!!...he's such a sweet bunny!..i'm not sure what kind he is..he looks like a himalyan cat...the same markings...and he was definatley a house pet..he's so tame..he and my guinea pig have become best friends!..lol..Wendy

oh how sweet!-thats why it was in your mailbox and not mine! I buy rabbit (ground) all the time to feed to my dog-raw!

Last edited:
DON'T use the neopolydex- dexamethasone is a potent and long acting steroid. It will retard healing if there is an ulcer on the cornea, and will suppress the immune response in the eye. and rabbits and steroids in general do not mix well. keep it in the cat's cabinet. also do not use that in anyone's eye if you have any reason to think there has been an corneal injury. it is typically used when there is a need to suppress the immune system locally- like uveitis, pannus or KCS (dry eye), not for anything infectious. The bunny probably has pasteurella and sinus infection- eye infection all by itself is not that common in rabbits. google 'snuffles'. the bunny probably needs more than any tetracycline class topical eye med (erythro or tetracycline)- you should see a vet- they will check the teeth as well. If the bunny has impacted/abscessed molars- this can also cause eye symptoms. if this is snuffles aka P. multocida, the bunny needs aggressive treatment (systemic antibiotics that will kill this organism- generally baytril is picked) as the infection tends to become worse, and can be fatal- it will not go away by itself.
Hope this helps, jess

Quote:
!!! All that stuff about quarantine you may have seen posted about bringing new chickens in to the flock- also applies to rabbits and guinea pigs. Guinea pigs and rabbits are different species, but they can both get sick from the same bugs. Pasteurella (if this is what the bunny has, and it might not), can make the pig as sick or even kill it. Separate them now, thought the exposure has probably already happened. You should probably take them both to the vet so you can have access to safe rabbit and GP systemic meds. These guys are both VERY sensitive to antibiotics- many antibiotics that are well tolerated by other mammals (cats, dogs, people) will kill them quickly if given by accident or by the uninformed. Don't give them any antibiotic by mouth unless you know it is safe for rabbits/cavies. jess

Jess...thanks!...i didnt use the steriod one....thankfully!..
th.gif
..whew!!..but i did just put some of the other one..
barnie.gif
...yikes!..yeah...i'll be calling the vet tomorrow....i dont want to risk messing aroud with his eye..poor guy...i will also google "snuffles"..and check it out....do you know how they get "snuffles"?...and can my guinea pig get it?..they live together.....thanks alot, Wendy

Back
Top Bottom