I tried helping my duck egg hatch! help.... I think I shouldn't have, will it be ok?

inquisitivebird

Songster
8 Years
Oct 16, 2014
My duck egg pipped last the night before last night. So it's been about 34 hours and no change, lots of peeping and wiggling. I have a new incubator and I wasn't sure about the humidity so was worried that he was stuck. There are 4 others as well, same thing... So I tried 'helping' one by picking away the shell in the air sack. The membrane didn't have many blood vessels so I thought, he must be stuck and ready to come out, so I peeled back more and helped his head out. But then I saw the yolk! I thought, oh no.... he's not ready.... so I stuff his head back under his wing and put him back in the incubator. Will he be ok? or will the lack of shell make him hurt him self? How long before the yolk absorbs? It seemed like there was quite a bit of it left, but not many blood vessels. I'm not sure, please help!

update... i peek in incubator with a flash light and he's got his head out, but butt still in the egg. He's on his back, looks ok, but will his wiggling around break him off the yolk too early? Will he bleed to death? Right now he's just breathing and sleeping.

I don't know that there's much you can do at this point, but I'm not an expert in this area, either. I'm more of a "Let Nature Take Its Course" kind of person.

Last edited:
update... i peek in incubator with a flash light and he's got his head out, but butt still in the egg. He's on his back, looks ok, but will his wiggling around break him off the yolk too early? Will he bleed to death? Right now he's just breathing and sleeping.

I think he will come out when he feels ready. If the bottom half of the shell is mostly intact he will finish absorbing the yolk. His wiggling around is all part of the hatching process.
Babies sleep a lot. I'd say just watch him for a few more hours. It he appears to be trying to get out and having trouble then you might have to help again. But give him plenty of time to come out on his own.
You are at the nerve wracking part of incubating and we all go thru it. Just have patience.
wink.png

I came home from work and he had hatched alright. I'm guessing he staying in his shell until he was ready even though I had pulled his head out early. Thankful he was ok.... next time I'm not touching the egg. Just waiting...

Back
Top Bottom