1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I use pine shavings what about poplar

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hbwbk, Jul 10, 2011.

1. hbwbk

hbwbk Out Of The Brooder

I use pine shavings from a friend who has a wood working shop. Keeps me supplied. He said poplar has nothing in it that would hurt any body can I use these shavings. I trust him he knows his stuff. Just wanted to make sure
    It's OK to use with the girls.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  2. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    I see no reason for you not to use it if you can get it in sufficient quantities but I would stick with pine. Poplar may not wick as well as pine which could present a problem.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The poplar won't hurt them a bit. Might not work as well to control odor, though.

4. hbwbk

hbwbk Out Of The Brooder

Thanks I scoop out the girls house once a week and do a good clean at the end of the month. During the cold months may be I could mix with the pine or do a mix altogether.
    I went surfing found out some big chicken people use a mix of maple, white oak, ash and pine/poplar. Since he uses all of these woods I may use a mix of them. They are all safe for chickens.
    I found out Black walnut is not good but I figured that as nothing grows under black walnut. Thanks again. I'm new to chicken raising what is wick ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by