I want a broody ! How can I make a broody ? ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by math ace, Oct 3, 2010.

1. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Here is the deal - - -15 hens and not a single broody ! [​IMG]

Do they go more broody at a certain time of year, a certain temperature, a certain amount of light or a certain min age? ? ?

How frequently will they go broody ? [​IMG]

What can I do to encourage someone to go broody ? ? ? [​IMG]

I have a dum dum hen who steals everyones eggs and golf balls. Then she lays her own egg. THEN SHE LEAVES THE NEST !
    What's up with that ?[​IMG]

2. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    You should try separating the hen that steals the other eggs.
    Put her in her own crate on a clutch of eggs, she might just end up setting if she can't run away.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2010
  3. haTHOR

haTHOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    i've heard of amish folks setting a hen down on a nest full of eggs, several times, a day, every day, and it working. my friends also heard that and tried it and they said it worked. i have no idea--my broody just did it on her own. best thing you can do to increase your chances is invest in breeds that tend to go broody, imo. mine was a black java but i want to hatch out a couple silkies to be my designated brooders.

4. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I've got marans, EE, wyandottes, welsummers, wyandottes, and leghorns.

I, also, have speckled sussex and partridge rocks that are POL. . . . ..

The one that steal eggs is a maran. I don't expect the leghorn to EVER go broody,
    but you would think one of the others would want to try it out.

5. brownlikewoah

brownlikewoah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    seattle
    get a silky! haha [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Some never go broody. It's hormonal and many hatchery birds have that trait bred out of them today in favor of egg production. Only a couple of my older hatchery girls have ever gone broody. Even my banty Cochin has only gone broody one time in her three years of age.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I've never heard of being able to bring on broodiness...I guess I thought it was kind of a hormonal thing. And it's probably partly seasonal too (although with your location, who knows?)...I don't think a lot of hens go broody in the fall and winter. My wyandotte has gone broody before, but unlike you, I wasn't wanting that. None of my others have, although my BO has those tendancies occasionally. I agree with looking at breeds known for broodiness...

8. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    my silkie has been like this for 3 weeks... sad thing is I have no eggs to give her.. Its so funny to see her PUFF up and scream at me when i go near her.. I do toss her in the yard just to make myself feel better. She eats, drinks and RUNS and i do mean RUNS right back to her nest.. here she is befor going broody..

[​IMG]

and after...

[​IMG]

Id say get a silkie for sure......

9. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Yea I wish I could get one of my RIR to go broody. But I've given up on that. Maybe my silkies will when they get older.

10. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Well I feel like we've hit the jackpot!!! We have 3 broodies, one Barred Rock, one heritage RIR and one Black (of BBS) orpington .....Whewee, I was like a kid in a candy store, piling eggs underneath them, then hubby and his craze for guineas, claimed one for guinea hatching! Smile! I've never tried making them broody and this time of year, I'm surprised to see so many broodies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by