I want a prettier flock...

elizabethbinary

Songster
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
My flock is a bit oogly. It's from inexperience - I got hatchery birds and birds from weird sources. "Araucana" is a bit of a misnomer in my signature - but it sure was what I was lead to believe. The usual lack-of-experience oogly chickens. So now that I have a bit of a better idea of what I want other than 'chickens', I was thinking I'd get myself some gorgeous Heritage breeds or something that was show-quality and gorgeous.

I'm getting property in 6 months and the owner of the property has agreed I can have roosters. I really want a 'pet rooster' in addition to my meat roosters - but I want him to be perfect, a shining example of his breed.

Problem is - I don't know where to begin looking for higher quality birds. I know where to get hatchery birds and meat birds and ducks and... I know where to get BREEDS, but not shining examples of breeds. I'm not even entirely sure where exactly to look for show quality chickens/eggs. I think I would prefer to raise from eggs since that way I could pick my rooster and cull the rest.

Do I go to chicken shows and find breeders and ask them about eggs? What's the protocol for upgrading the quality of your flock?

Thank you
smile.png

Quote:
Been there done that - it's where I currently source my chickens. Searching through there is impossible, sadly.... what people THINK is a good breed compared to what IS - two different things.

Although I did inquire about the Heritage Hamburgs on the second listing.
tongue.png

I think poultry shows are a great idea for getting SQ stock.

One question though... why do you want show quality? Do you want to show them, or just for your own aesthetics?

Personally, I LOVE the look of my own, personal hatchery quality chickens - no more, no less than ones which are "show quality". I can definitely admire chickens which have been bred to perfection the way many have been, but it doesn't necessarily make them prettier to me, especially for my own backyard flock.

Quote:
I think this would be the easiest and best way to get good birds. Most breeders are very friendly and love to talk about their birds. I've found it hard to get eggs or baby chicks, though. The breeders tend to want to see what they hatch and then cull for their own flocks. I don't show, though, so I'm quite happy with their culls. Much better than hatchery.

Wow. Maybe I'm lucky or something, but my feed store chickens are really nice looking and I get compliments on them all the time. Then I started ordering eggs and incubating them for more breeds, and I do notice most of the the chickens I have hatched from breeders are much more robust and they are very, very pretty.

But I can't imagine thinking my chickens are oogly. Except when they're molting......

Is there an Aussie thread on here? I know there are threads for a lot of states here in the US. Maybe you could post one if there isn't already.

I know what you mean, though. I got my original chicks from a hatchery, then found BYC and began to think I want a "Do-over". Instead I decided that I love my hatchery chicks for what they are and as I add I am much more careful now and research a little better what I want BEFORE I get anything.
Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom