I want an incubator for quail and chickens but will mainly be hatching chicks

I think that was @RUNuts .
Yep. The chicken egg sized Hovabator turner won't hold 2 small quail eggs. A single nestles down snug and works well. I tried a couple solutions, but nothing worked well. I didn't spend a lot of time either. I put the overflow to the side until Day 7 candling pulled clear ones.

The Little Giant egg trays won't fit in the Hovabator turner without grinding off the locator tabs on the end. I think they did that on purpose.

Yep. The chicken egg sized Hovabator turner won't hold 2 small quail eggs. A single nestles down snug and works well. I tried a couple solutions, but nothing worked well. I didn't spend a lot of time either. I put the overflow to the side until Day 7 candling pulled clear ones.

The Little Giant egg trays won't fit in the Hovabator turner without grinding off the locator tabs on the end. I think they did that on purpose.
Grinding on the tray or the bator?

:welcome :frow :jumpy How many eggs are you setting? I started out years ago with a styrofoam incubator with a fan and turner.
I have been trying to make the Styrofoam incubator. It has a glass window and a heat source light bulb with dimmer switch. I also put a computer fan in. I would have to turn the eggs by hand, but have that figured out. My issue is with maintaining heat. That incubator doesn't maintain heat very well. Any suggestions?

:welcome :frow :jumpy How many eggs are you setting? I started out years ago with a styrofoam incubator with a fan and turner.
I have been trying to make the Styrofoam incubator. It has a glass window and a heat source light bulb with dimmer switch. I also put a computer fan in. I would have to turn the eggs by hand, but have that figured out. My issue is with maintaining heat. That incubator doesn't maintain heat very well. Any suggestions?

This is a homemade incubator/hatcher I made from a styrofoam cooler as an experiment. It works great. I used two 15 watt incandescent bulbs. I put a fan in to blow across the bulbs to circulate the heat and a wafer thermostat in to control the temperature. Originally I had a dimmer switch in to regulate the temperature but eventually replaced it with the wafer thermostat that I had taken out of my cabinet incubator that I had replaced with an electronic one. Now I only use it as a hatcher but have incubated eggs in it.
img_3671-jpg.1767858

img_3109-jpg.1767867

I took the chicks out before I took this picture.
img_4000-jpg.1767875

I put tin foil in the bottom so when shell fragments from the hatching chicks fall through the wire, it's an easy clean up. I also put a pan with water and a sponge in the bottom for moisture.

Back
Top Bottom