I want chickens in Green Twp Ohio

HeatherBell

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 6, 2011
I'm looking for others in my area who would like to change the law in my area allowing chickens. I have been told we are not allowed to have them in our residential setting unless we own more than five acres. I found out a lot of the other cities in Hamilton county allow backyard chickens so I was disappointing to find out Green township does not allow them. If you are in my area and would like to see if we can get this law changed please let me know. I have no idea how to do this, but am willing to give it a shot. I think I'd have a better time with it if I found like minded individuals.

welcome-byc.gif

Hi neighbor
frow.gif
& welcome to BYC
welcome-byc.gif
. I would be on board with you but I just moved out of Green Twp to next door in Miami Twp. I know a bunch of people around me that have them. Good luck on your fight. I know the Green Township trustees are not an easy group to deal with. I will be rooting for you.

Thanks cparian! I will keep everyone posted on my progress! Funny story... When I called to ask if I was allowed to have them the lady on the phone politely said no, but you wouldn't believe how many calls we get about this. So I replied with.. have they thought about changing the law? she laughed and said oh no, if we let you have chickens then we would have to let your neighbor have a cow! :hmm

What is the state of this? My friend in Cheviot is currently brooding chicks because we thought we'd be able to keep them at my house in Green Twp. I live on a double lot for 1.2 acres combined.

I haven't heard anything from her about this. You may want to PM her to see how far she got. I live just one street over from Green Township in Miami Township on 20 acres. I have seen someone with Chickens on Taylor Rd(in Green Twp) get rid of them in the past 6 months, which may be a bad sign.

If things don't work out for you and your friend, PM me if you end up needing a good home for the chicks!
big_smile.png

I've been talking with a lot of people on the phone today from the Auditor's office (to see if the coop would be taxable land improvement - it's not unless it's built onto a permanent foundation), to Green Township Administration (to find out I'm in Green Township but not the part that they are responsible for zoning), and finally to Hamilton County Planning (herefore HCP because I don't want to type it over and over). Currently, HCP says that my coop must be 100 feet from all property lines which isn't possible on my lots.

Laurie (or Lori) Adler at HCP said that the board is looking at updating the regulations to include suburban agriculture at their meeting on Tuesday but any changes wouldn't go into effect for another 6 months and then there might be a limit on the number of chickens. All the other communities they were looking at had a 4-6 limit. We were looking at 15 for two egg loving families. I could draw up plans and apply for a variance at a public hearing but that's not a quick (or cheap) solution and might be settled about the time the new regulations go into place and then what was the point of the hearing and costs?

My friend is allowed to keep a total of 20 chickens in Cheviot and they're going to figure out how to do it. We'll do the shared gardening on mine.

Man, my sketches for my 30 chicken coop were looking awesome! I might complete them though for later. :(

Last edited:
WOW! 20 in Cheviot! I can't wait to see how that goes. I'm sure someone is going to try to rain on her parade. LOL. I hope HCP does update the ruling to allow you to keep your own. Don't be surprised if Green Township still tries to give you grief.

When we lived in Green Twsp they were giving my SO a hard time over his commercial vehicle being parked behind our house. They even went as far as to say he couldn't even keep it in the garage in the backyard out of site. ( I would like to know how they were gonna tell it was in there with the door shut?) The really screwed up part about the whole thing was the actual street was under HCP's jurisdiction and it was legal for him to park the same truck on the street. He didn't want to do that though because the street is a residential side street with only room for one car to pass at a time and with children everywhere. His truck being out on the street would create a dangerous situation for all the kids crossing back and forth around the truck. We got all the neighbors to sign a petition saying the truck didn't bother them and they had no problem with it being parked behind the house. Still didn't help. They do whatever they want.

Good luck, and if you get a chance, let me know what the decide at the meeting on Tuesday.

Cindy

Back
Top Bottom