I want different colored eggs--I think I am obsessed! How about you?

firsthouse_mp

Songster
10 Years
Dec 13, 2009
NorthernCal
We have 3 brown egg layers: 2 RIRs, 1 Barred Rock (1 yr old)
We also have 3 EEers: 1 Buff colored and 2 pheasant colored (6 mos old)

So we now have two different color eggs and I happened to tell my family that it would be fun to also have a white egg layer, maybe a Leghorn and a deeper brown colored egg layer, not sure what breed.
love.gif

Am I crazy to want even more chickens just for multi-colored eggs?? I just think the eggs are so beautiful--all the colors--and it would be fun to have a few more different breeds.
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

45693_blueegg.jpg

I'm sure you will find may here that are going for the colorful egg basket. I have Welsummers and Marans for dark eggs, Ameraucanas for blue eggs, and Polish banties for white eggs. Sorry, I am not at home right now, or I would try to post a better picture.

I originally started out with the dark and blue egg layers and was thinking "How I could get white eggs with out getting a flighty breed?". I kinda did a rescue of 2 young polish bantie hens. After a few months they started laying a little white egg. That solved my white egg problem. The Polish are a little spooky and not the brightest bulb in the circuit, but they are cute with their little hair-do's and are good layers. Between the 2, I get at least one medium size white egg a day. It is actually pretty cool to see a white egg with a thick shell as opposed to those anoemic "store boughten" white eggs.

22928_eggs_009.jpg

Quote:
Ooooooo...pretty!!!

ETA - Mahonri, did you get your Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas from someone on BYC? I would love some of those!

Last edited:
Mahonri: That's what I'm talking about!!
wee.gif

I think I want that....now tell me how can we get some cool purple eggs?
wink.png

I also want a Polish with the beeeeyootiful pom pom "hats"! Even small white eggs would fine....
smile.png

I got my Wheaten/Blue Wheaten pullets from eggs I hatched from pasofinofarm here on BYC.

I got my GORGEOUS Blue Wheaten roo from pips&peeps here on BYC.... sent to me next day air!

I have chicks in my brooder from the combo of the above and also some from eggs I hatched from pips&peeps.

They are both wonderful people with wonderful birds.

Can't wait to see how my chicks turn out that are in the brooder. I do know though that at least 5 are wheaten roos. Hope I can sell them.

Yea hey Mahonri, awesome variation you've got there. Cute little white egg lol.

Firsthouse, you are on the same page as us. Our obsession has gone a bit overboard lately. We already had a nice selection so far but DW is addicted to EE's. We just picked up 8 more EE's, 2 more Barred Rocks and two RIR's. 3 week olds that were originally from McMurray. She would have had all EE's if I hadn't had a say in it, which I barely had lol. I love the look on peoples faces when I show them a six-pack. Is that normal? Are those eggs ok?
lol.png

42828_dscn1592.jpg

I like multi-colors, as many as I can get! Currently I have blue, green/mint, sage (paler than the dark, truly olive eggs we see photos of here), light-med brown, and white.

I want to add marans for dark brown, and to cross them for olive eggs.

No wonder we're obsessed.... different color layers also give you variations of eye candy in their plummage colors!

I specifically got my chickens for their different colored eggs (although the little freeloaders haven't laid any yet
th.gif
). We're a racially diverse family and I wanted my granddaughter to learn that different colored chickens lay different colored eggs, but they are all the same inside. Right now our chickens are supposed to lay brown, chocolate and blue eggs. I'm hoping to get a white egg layer sometime too and if I can get my DH to let me build a bigger coop I'll add some EE's for green and other colors. We are all waiting anxiously for the first eggs and having so much fun raising our chickie girls
wee.gif
. I think it's true, what a lot of people say on this forum. Chickens are so addicting:love . Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom