I want eggs!

Horsefly

Songster
10 Years
Jan 11, 2010
Virginia
My ducks seem to have all forgotten how to lay eggs. Last time I saw an egg around here was March. I have 7 ducks, 2 males 5 females. The oldest female, a pekin, is almost 2 and she layed almost every day for about 7 months when she started laying and layed for about 2 weeks in March this year and nothing since. The second oldest is a little over a year old and she is a pekin too. She never really layed much, maybe a month when she started laying. The other 3 girls are cayugas and are only 9 months old. 2 of them have never layed an egg and the other one was just given to me a few weeks ago and her previous owner said she was laying every day before she came here.
My neighbors ducks are all laying but mine won't. They get locked in a big house every night and let out in the morning. I feed them half a horse feed scoop of All Stock food every night when they get put up. I know it isn't the best thing but they freerange all day on an acre pond and several more acres of pasture and I know they are eating bugs and grass and stuff. They all went through a molt a couple months ago so that shouldnt be the issue. So any suggestions? They need to start pulling their own selves along here soon.

Quote:
Could they be hiding their eggs? Is there anywhere you could lock them up all day and night for a few days until you are sure they aren't?

They get locked up around 5 or 6 at night and then let out around 9 in the morning, I don't think they would be laying outside of their cage. What kind of high protein food would you suggest? They should be getting plenty protein from the small fish and insects they are eating all day. I also haven't dewormed or treated them for anything, I have never done that for any of my birds and they are pretty healthy. How would I know if I have to do that?

I would try letting them out at 10 am. Maybe their internal clock is off. My mother free ranged her pekins and never saw 1 egg in 4 years. I have campbells and mine are still laying an egg a day. I have a light in their house and try to remember to turn it off at night.

Are you saying that they get to free range or that they get out of their "house" and in to the run. If they get to free range I bet that they have a hidden nest somewhere and fight the urge to lay untill they get out. If you have a run (or even a large coop) try keeping them in it for a few days and see what you get. I bet you gen an egg
wink.png

Horsefly,

Here are a couple of initial thoughts.

One is that you might have late layers - not probable, but something to think about. I have seen ducks lay after 9 a.m. from time to time.

Another is that - if it were my ducks - I'd switch to a high-quality waterfowl laying feed, if only for a month or six weeks, and see if that doesn't help them out.

I'd also be giving them vitamins/probiotics/electrolytes.

How is their body condition? Do you check them out regularly? That might be tough, if they're always out on the range, and not lap ducks
roll.png
But it's one way I have of knowing if any of my ducks is losing weight or just doesn't feel right.

Stress will shut down egg production. What kinds of stressors are in their environment? Dogs? Loud engines or equipment?

When I wanted to make sure my ducks laid eggs in one spot, I'd put a wooden egg there. You might try something like that.

What's the inside of the big house like? How much and what kind of bedding to they have? They don't need the ritz, but more comfortable digs reduces stress.

Those are my first thoughts. Hope the ducks are healthy and just need a tweak in their management.

I would not rule out something getting the eggs. How tight is that big house? Do the ducks have nest boxes or just lay on the floor?

Back
Top Bottom