I want quail... So Badly! But...

LemonTheRooster

Chirping
Jul 28, 2018
Canada
Hello! I would really appreciate if someone who has quail and chickens could help me out? Im worried about the chickens picking on the quail. Could someone maybe send me a picture of a full grown hen and a jumbo quail next to each other to compare sizes? Thanks so much. I really appreciate it.

Hello! I would really appreciate if someone who has quail and chickens could help me out? Im worried about the chickens picking on the quail. Could someone maybe send me a picture of a full grown hen and a jumbo quail next to each other to compare sizes? Thanks so much. I really appreciate it.
The chickens would pick on the quail. The quail would suffer alot of injuires from flying up to also being picked on. They shouldn't be kept together at all. I have chickens and I have quail but they are housed differently. My chickens free range outside and sleep in their own coops. My quail are inside and have been since 2 weeks of age. I do not ever have them around each other and I wash my hands and remove my shoes when entering the area where my quail are. I have taken my quail outside but they were put in a small cage away from the chickens. Quail get spooked easily so they are easily injured from bumping their heads or flying into things. I don't have pictures of my quail next to a chicken because I don't put them near each other but I would say my quail are about the size of average 3-4 week old chicks and at hatch they are about the size of silkie chicks.

The chickens would pick on the quail. The quail would suffer alot of injuires from flying up to also being picked on. They shouldn't be kept together at all. I have chickens and I have quail but they are housed differently. My chickens free range outside and sleep in their own coops. My quail are inside and have been since 2 weeks of age. I do not ever have them around each other and I wash my hands and remove my shoes when entering the area where my quail are. I have taken my quail outside but they were put in a small cage away from the chickens. Quail get spooked easily so they are easily injured from bumping their heads or flying into things. I don't have pictures of my quail next to a chicken because I don't put them near each other but I would say my quail are about the size of average 3-4 week old chicks and at hatch they are about the size of silkie chicks.
@bantamsrmyfav is correct. Gamebirds should not be kept with chickens or other poultry. Chickens carry diseases that they can tolerate but will kill gamebirds, like quail, pheasants and turkeys.
BIOSECERITY is paramount when raising gamebirds.
I'd read that chickens and quail shouldn't be kept together because one can give the other diseases that the other isn't immune to
Thanks everybody!

Plenty of people on one of my quail groups keep the two together so its possible. I kept mine separate only because my chickens free ranged then I placed the chickens. However quail take little space so if you want some, get a wire dog crate and wrap in hardware cloth or use a rabbit enclosure. Coturnix can be very good pets and a good source of meat and eggs. Much easier to care for than chickens since they can't free range and tear things up.

Back
Top Bottom