I want to build a brooder.

I would like to build a brooder that will have a sand floor. I would like it to be wire top with a heat lamp at that can be adjustable, but stable. My local farmer's supply has a BEAUTIFUL setup!

I have built three of them recently, (1)3'X4' and (2)2'X3'. I used 1/2" plywood and screwed it together. 1"X2" boards are used for the top and has hinged tops and lifts off for easy cleaning. I can give you dimensions if you are interested.

If you plan on using sand I would go with a thicker plywood to take the extra wieght.

Someone asked if there was a coop for Dumbies. So I had my 7yr old son build one. It is actually a brooder. I have step by step photos but it's impossible for me to get them in the forum. I would be happy to show it to you if you will email me at [email protected]
smile.png

Last edited:
If you decide to go ahead and build your own you may want put a vinyl floor covering over your plywood floor. It's easy to clean and would be a moisture barrier if you decide to put sand in there.

caf.gif

We just use plastic tubs from Walmart. They are cheap and easy to clean. They are also easy to cut the middle of the lid area out and put wire over to make a lid. Costs like 10 - 15 bucks total for a BIG one.

I'm saving my money for renovating my coop/run this year.

Good Luck!
thumbsup.gif

Iheartchicks<3
smile.png
:

Quote:
Yes i have a coop, i already have chickens as well.

What we are trying to say is where are you going to put the chicks after they out grow the brooder. I brood my
63768_iddy_growing_up_008.jpg
chicks in their coop.​

Back
Top Bottom