I want to build a brooder.

I built one last year. It was a 4x4 brooder, 23 inches tall with 2 light fixtures hooked to a dimmer switch (to vary the temp) with a long cord that plugs into the wall. Looking back I would have probably designed it a little differently and not made it square (you have to turn it on it's side to get it through a door). You could use 2x2 furring strips for the frame and just cut the plywood to fit the frame. You can also use the 2x2's to frame the top and use the poultry wire to cover that frame. You can hinge the top or just build it to be pulled off. Hope I didn't confuse you too much. Last year was our first year to raise chicks and they seemed to like running around in there.

Quote:
Fully agree. We are going to go with a rubbermaid tub and by time they are 6-8wks old it will me June and they can go outside in the main coop. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Quote:
We easily housed 10 chicks in a 'medium' container...but it was hot outside then

and they went their fuzzy little tushes outside at 3 weeks. I'd get the largest

container possible, and be sure to have a light in their coop once they outgrow

their container. That is if its cold where you are.

I used cardboard boxes for years as brooders. A large appliance box works great and can be found for free. I notch the top edges to fit a board across the corner or center and duct tape it firmly to hold the clamp on metal reflector shop light. I've used 75 to 100 watt white bulbs. I actually reused one big cardboard box for several years by duct taping a paper feed sack in the bottom which was replaced each brood.

Get yourself a plastic kiddie pool. So easy to clean and sanatize and can be used year after year. My 5th batch of chick are going in mine come May.

Back
Top Bottom