I want to build a coop, but I've never built anything. Need advice!

In case nobody mentioned it... Zip ties. Half of the stuff in my run is held together with zip ties. My run is built on a metal frame and all of the fencing is zip tied on.

I've also used zip ties as "a pair of hands" to hold something in the right place while I do something else with the other end.
Sadly in our “direct sun light zone” the typical zip-tie has about 3-6 months life expectancy before it brakes.

In case nobody mentioned it... Zip ties. Half of the stuff in my run is held together with zip ties. My run is built on a metal frame and all of the fencing is zip tied on.

I've also used zip ties as "a pair of hands" to hold something in the right place while I do something else with the other end.
Psa
white (clear) zip ties are indoor and UV breaks the plastic down fast. Black zip ties are outdoor and what one would want to use on pens and stuff

I would go with something like this and cover it with a 6 x 8 heavy duty tarp, only if you live in a place that doesn't snow. However, you will still need to put in a cross perch and nest box and replace the tarp when it gets worn. Amazon has free shipping with prime.
1630856591199.png

https://www.amazon.com/PawHut-Galva...tive/dp/B01MZI6TAI?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Last edited:
I built ours myself. We live 1/2 mile from the ocean so she’s hurricane equipped. My footers run 18” deep and 12” wide at the base in the shape of an “L” to keep out predators and keep her grounded in the event of a hurricane. I installed a Coop Tender which has a solid steel acme threaded screw door so predators can’t lift the door and it automatically closes at night or whenever I set the schedule.

Attachments

• 15F482C9-CE07-4535-8FE1-3C6F14A9A3A8.jpeg
    15F482C9-CE07-4535-8FE1-3C6F14A9A3A8.jpeg
    996 KB · Views: 12
  • E95BE6AD-5345-41AA-A019-297A452A65C0.jpeg
    E95BE6AD-5345-41AA-A019-297A452A65C0.jpeg
    759.6 KB · Views: 11
I would go with something like this and cover it with a 6 x 8 heavy duty tarp, only if you live in a place that doesn't snow. However, you will still need to put in a cross perch and nest box and replace the tarp when it gets worn. Amazon has free shipping with prime.
View attachment 2823363
https://www.amazon.com/PawHut-Galva...tive/dp/B01MZI6TAI?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

That looks awfully light and flimsy -- more of an over-sized budgerigar cage than anything meant for livestock. :(

It would have to be very well staked down lest a dog or coyote simply flip it over and I'd suspect that any strong predator like a dog or a raccoon could pop the connections between sections without thinking twice. Follow the link and look at the picture enlarged -- the sections just hook like a birdcage and a child can undo that.

It would also need to be completely wrapped in half-inch hardware cloth for security.

Remember that rule of thumb about how anything measured in inches instead of feet is too small?

It's 24 square feet -- enough run for 2 chickens in theory, but feeder and waterer would eat up some of that and it wouldn't offer much scope for clutter and enrichment.

That looks awfully light and flimsy -- more of an over-sized budgerigar cage than anything meant for livestock. :(

It would have to be very well staked down lest a dog or coyote simply flip it over and I'd suspect that any strong predator like a dog or a raccoon could pop the connections between sections without thinking twice. Follow the link and look at the picture enlarged -- the sections just hook like a birdcage and a child can undo that.

It would also need to be completely wrapped in half-inch hardware cloth for security.

Remember that rule of thumb about how anything measured in inches instead of feet is too small?

It's 24 square feet -- enough run for 2 chickens in theory, but feeder and waterer would eat up some of that and it wouldn't offer much scope for clutter and enrichment.
That coop idea I suggested doesn't have any doors and it does look flimsy. I made an 8 feet tall one that look like that with 3/4 PVC and I used 4 foot steel wire fence pegs to hold it in place. I don't have to worry about predators where I live.
DSCN0234.JPG

DSCN0024.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom