i want to build a pond!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KrazyKZ08, Aug 14, 2011.

1. KrazyKZ08

KrazyKZ08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Brevard, FL
    I am ready to start a new project for my ducks! right now I have a dog kennel with an igloo and a small kiddie pool for them but they need more space!(i take them out every day while i'm home to exercize so theyre not stuck in there too long each day btw) [​IMG] their area in my yard is only long and narrow. it might only be about 7 or 8 feet from the house to the fence! so i wanted to build a better home from them that will have to be longer.

if anyone has advice on building and maintaining a pond for their ducks that would be greatly appreciated!
    i would like to know how you build them so you can easily maintain them, and how deep or wide they should be for 2 ducks (or more someday lol).

I also wanted to know if theyre in danger when they swim in the pool.

any kind of input will help!

thank you

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    There's a thread for duck pool and pond pictures, with some helpful information. [​IMG] It's in the sticky index for ducks.

3. IRL

IRL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    If a kiddy pool isn't adequate for your ducks, you can build a pond with a pond liner, or get a stock tank. Filtering a pond to maintain it gets pretty tricky, so I would just try to install a drain, so you can refill on a regular basis. Ducks are not in any danger swimming as long as they are full grown, unless they don't have a safe way to enter and exit the pool.

4. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    We just dug one... which filled itself because its deep enough... But alot of people dont have that option..

5. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    My pond project this spring
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=496237

I haven't drained it in 6 or 7 weeks and it is still doing fine. But it seems the filter box has sprung a leak, so I turned the filter off last night. Need to get that fixed as I'm sure leaving that pond unfiltered for too long will make it utterly disgusting, but the ducks were still swimming in it today.

6. KrazyKZ08

KrazyKZ08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Brevard, FL
    oh i found it!! theyre all so nice! i wish my yard was bigger, but alot of them have good ideas i could steal [​IMG] and thank you TLWR!!! i'm definately going to save your post as a guide!!

i just worry that the chlorine could hurt my ducks, and my dad is also getting tired of all the "turkey leaves" in the filter...lol thts what he calls them to be funny [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by