I want to eat the eggs... what do i do?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chica Lady, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Chica Lady

Chica Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Taylors, SC
    I am sorry if this is in the wrong section. I have searched for similar posts and found nothing. If it is wrong, please move.

I am new to chickening, and don't know very much. here is my question.

I want to eat the eggs that my chickens lay, but I am not sure how to handle the eggs before consumption. What do I do?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance

Chica Lady [​IMG]

2. tyjaco

tyjaco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Cloverdale, CA
    Refrigerate them. Then cook them and eat them.
    nothing special. If there's a little poop on it - you can clean it off right before you crack it, but don't wash them before that.
    Enjoy1 There's nothing like FRESH eggs!

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Take 'em out of the nest, and bring them in the house! [​IMG] Some people keep them on the counter for a week or more, some people refrigerate them. If they are dirty, wash them just before using them. Nothing to it! Enjoy!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Unless they have poop on them, you have to do nothing special. I bring mine in the house and put them on the counter until I have enough for a carton (right now, that is about a half day, sometimes, it takes a couple of days if they aren't laying well). You can bring them in and put them right in whatever you're cooking if you want. Truly fresh eggs are the real benefit of having your own chickens. Can't get fresher than direct from nest to frying pan!

5. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    If I'm going to cook them I'll just crack them open as is, if I will use them raw like in egg nog I"ll wash them first :)

6. six_eclectic_chickens

six_eclectic_chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2011
    We scrub the eggs when we bring them in. Then we just put them in the refrigerator untill we are ready to eat them. Nothing special

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

As the other posters said, you don't need to do anything. Just use them.

But if you do not wash them when bringing them inside, you need to be conscious of cross contamination.

Although rare, salmonella and other food born illness can be very serious.

Imp

8. Chica Lady

Mar 31, 2012
    Taylors, SC
    thank you everyone

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'd like to add that it's a good idea to keep your nest boxes clean and change out the bedding periodically, too. Keeps the eggs cleaner from the get-go. [​IMG] I rarely have to wash an egg. When you do, use water hotter than the egg itself, swipe down and away from the egg as you wipe to remove poop with a damp paper towel. Eggs have a protective coating called the bloom that you don't want to wash off unless necessary. We've never, ever had a contamination just putting them on the counter (though you don't want them staying there for many days if your house is very hot, I'd say) till there was enough to fill a carton. A clean egg from a clean nest from a healthy flock will not make you sick.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  10. Chica Lady

Mar 31, 2012
    Taylors, SC
    thanx for the advice. I would never keep eggs on the counter anyway. It's something that has never been done in my family. Growing up, eggs were always from the grocery store, and they always went directly into the fridge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by