I want to get turkeys, I don't understand anything about it - tell me the breed for Ukraine.

villagelifebiz

Hatching
May 26, 2024
Ukraine
Hello, everyone,

I live in Ukraine, I want to keep turkeys, but I don't understand anything about it, what can you recommend for a start. I was thinking something like this: Red Bourbon turkeys (I read about them on this site, they say they are not bad), Bronze turkeys - but maybe there are some more that can be easier to manage?

Hello, everyone,

I live in Ukraine, I want to keep turkeys, but I don't understand anything about it, what can you recommend for a start. I was thinking something like this: Red Bourbon turkeys (I read about them on this site, they say they are not bad), Bronze turkeys - but maybe there are some more that can be easier to manage?
You can learn a lot about the different heritage varieties at Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys.

Hello, everyone,

You will need to check around locally to find what varieties are available where you are.

I,m not sure where @austria89 is located but he may be helpful in your quest.

Hello, everyone,

in my opinion, even meat turkeys are strong, smart, and sometimes higher maintenance to take care of than ducks or chickens. they are really cool though, and they can be trained to follow you around like a dog.

in my opinion, even meat turkeys are strong, smart, and sometimes higher maintenance to take care of than ducks or chickens. they are really cool though, and they can be trained to follow you around like a dog.
I heard that they like to fly - how to deal with this (you can't tie them down), and secondly, they are very easy to care for - or not?

I heard that they like to fly - how to deal with this (you can't tie them down), and secondly, they are very easy to care for - or not?
Getting the poults to the fully feathered stage can be difficult especially if you start with only a few. They need a high protein turkey or game bird starter. Sorry I don't know what feed sources you have there.

Once they are adults, they are relatively easy keepers.

Getting the poults to the fully feathered stage can be difficult especially if you start with only a few. They need a high protein turkey or game bird starter. Sorry I don't know what feed sources you have there.

Once they are adults, they are relatively easy keepers.
We have the following feeds: wheat, barley, corn, oilcake, soybeans

Not appropriate as such for starting poults.

Check with your local feed stores to see what they are selling for starting turkeys.
So I understand you to mean that you only need to feed purchased food, if so, where is the benefit? Then it's cheaper to buy a turkey carcass for $50

Back
Top Bottom