I want to hatch again!! How do I convince my mom???

While I am not advocating overducking (or overdoing any other birds), here are a couple of ways to approach a mom for more hatching.
  1. A science experiment: write up — and complete— a hypothesis, procedure, etc. Not talking about experimenting on live animals (of course), just simpler questions such as the effect of playing music for the eggs vs silence.
  2. A business or economic plan: more writing, yep. Calculate costs, timelines, etc. Then present how you can offset costs over time by selling birds, eggs, or eating the birds and reducing your grocery bills.
All that said, I agree — 9 ducklings is already a lot to manage. We had 5 giant pekins and it felt like we were drowning in ducks by a month old.
Further to the eggsperiment idea, try grocery store eggs or ones from the asian super market. Not guaranteed amazing results, but may pique her curiosity too.

How'd you go? Did you incubate more ducks? What sort? Any photo's? 🦆
I never ended up reaching out to my neighbor. not sure why lol. i have a set in my incubator right now that i just checked. all are fertile (day 7) they’re eggs from my flock. we’ll see how it goes!

After you calculate the cost, and the amount of space you can offer per bird, (I like to offer at least 20ft of space per bird in the run, 5-10 in the coop) than the science experiment is the way to go.
Theres a thread on here experimenting with refrigerated eggs producing more females.
I’d love to read that! I’ll try to find it

Back
Top Bottom