I want to hatch more eggs but can't?! =(

77horses

◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Maine
I am a new peep to hatching eggs(I have attempted once, and the egg I am trying to hatch is on day 21 with no pips but it's expected to be delayed) I made a homemade bator which works OK, but I really want to make a better one with a cooler. I have most everything i need. But my mom says the light bill is just getting too high when i run the bator I am using now. And my dad says he doesn't want any more chickens right now. But this hatching thing is really addicting and I haven't had a chance to really make a good bator to use.
sad.png
I REALLY want to hatch out a little chicky of my own, but parents won't let me. What do I do?
hit.gif
It seems like I am the only one interested in raising chickens in my family!
hit.gif

To be honest, since you do still live at home, you need to abide by your parents rules.

I am sorry
sad.png
It is addicting to hatch out, so just pray hard that you get some pips soon and hatch out this one. Maybe they will let you hatch some more in the spring.

Good luck!

I feel your pain. Hubby told me I could order my chickies the other day. I said how about I buy a bator instead....he said no!!!!! I know why~he doesn't want me to hatch all the time!!!! And I would if I could!! LOL!!!

I did order some more. Before he could change his mind. I will get a bator one day....I just know it!!!

As much as you would like to hatch...and I certainly understand that...it is more economical to buy some chick.

For example...I put 58 shipped eggs into my bator 23 days ago. I got a total of 12 live chicks. Now a large portion of those were rumpless/tufted araucana's and it is expected to ave a percentage of death between 18 and 21, but...I paid $65 for those eggs, including shipping, so that makes those chick cost about $5.50 each. That doesn't include the electricty and lots of time in turning eggs, etc...

You sound like you have a lot of love in your heart for the chickies. Don't be discouraged. I'm waiting to hatch some new chicks too. Winter is coming, feed prices are going up and maybe Dad has good reason to say "No" right now. And what ever you do... Don't make this a sore spot with your dad, enjoy the chickens you have now. Become an expert at keeping them healthy and productive. That will prove your worth and ability in dealing with the responsibility and care of a larger flock.
And by the way... My Dad is 91 years old. I think I'll go see him today! Thank You

Thanks everyone!
smile.png
I still wish i could hatch out a couple chickies now.
hmm.png

I don't see why I can't though. All I want to do is hatch out one or two baby chicks from my dad's hens and then wait til spring. It makes no sense to me...
sad.png

Mom says she just doesn't want to be around farm animals and all that "stuff".
hu.gif
She's just not into wild life and animals like me...
idunno.gif
have asked if we could raise some chickens at her house before(my dad's the one with the chickens) and I told her that they are inexpensive (they really are inexpensive) and all we would have to do is give them food, water, and shelter. They don't really need special care like a dog or anything.
hmm.png
I just don't get why we can't....
hu.gif

Since you still live at home I would listen and follow your parents rules. Maybe if you talk to them over the winter they might be willing to let you do something in the spring. Besides, as cold as it is here in Maine right now do you really want to hatch out a new baby? I have put it on hold until spring. My youngest are 5 weeks old and it's hard for them to enjoy themselves outside with the way the weather has been.

ya I know, you're right. But all i wanted to do was hatch out ONE MORE chick before winter!
sad.png
Ever since we got chickens, I have been hoping our hens would go broody(never did, but our pullets might!) and then I joined here and read about all the hatches of baby chicks and everything, and it inspired me to build my own bator and hatch some cute little chickies that I can love and care for...I am soo nervous about the egg I am trying to hatch now. I don't know if he/she will make it...If it does, then it was meant to be. If it doesn't, then it wasn't meant to be.
sad.png
I hope it is meant to be.....
smile.png
And it actually isn't that cold right now. I'm sure the chick would enjoy the outdoors before it got too cold. I just really want to have a chick of my own and for it to be happy.

Back
Top Bottom