I want to hatch my own meat bird. What rooster and hen to use?

I want to make my own meat birds in the future if I can make a sound proof coop and run for a rooster. Not sure what Rooster I would get for the meat birds. I am caught between a Dorking, White/Red Cornish, and some white rock hens to breed with. Maybe someone who has experience making their own meat birds will chime in on this thread.

I know for sure that I will never duplicate the Cornish X Rock but that's ok, they are too big for me as I live alone, a smaller bird with plenty of white meat is what I am looking for.

Please share your opinion. I have read several post and no one has said what chicken to raise and hatch their own eggs for meat birds. Can Free Ranger chickens be kept to lay eggs to hatch?

No one has an opinion on the this question. Not evening like using a
Dark Cornish Roo over a White Plymouth Rock Hen or a Delaware hen?

I think this has been covered in other posts.

What I suggest is get a dual purpose breed that is easy to come by in your area, raise them up and figure out what you like and don't like. Then start adding other breeds that have the qualities you like, and in each time you have new birds keep the ones you like and cull the rest.

The good thing about this is the ones that don't make the cut will still be delicious.

It is unlikely that you will get anything near the growth and mass of Cornish X's, but you will eventually have a flock that produces chickens that are to your personal taste.

I,m going to cross a New Hampshire red with a red laced cornish standard breed.

I picked the NH for it's faster growth rate, My NH's are almost twice the size @ the same age as my barred rocks.

They are all chicks right now.

I will pick out the birds with the best qualities and hope I can make a keeper cross that I can breed consistently to produce a quality meet bird to fit my needs.

This will take a good long time. I will take pictures and log my progress when my flock gets closer to breeding age.

if at all possible the best would be a Shindi or Mianwalli Asil X Standard Cornish

Although highly prised not sure how easy the Asil is to get in USA

Worst case scenario is get a Cornish Asil

good thing about Asils as well is they only have a "Half Crow" meaning they just stop dead half way through the Crow

No one has an opinion on the this question. Not evening like using a
Dark Cornish Roo over a White Plymouth Rock Hen or a Delaware hen?
I have heard that a Dark Cornish rooster is a good choice for a meat bird if you are wanting a hybrid bird for meat. Copper marans are supposed to cross well with the Dark Cornish.....but I personally do not know.

A white rock rooster and hens are hard to beat for dual purpose and egg laying. they grow fairly fast and are good layers.

Back
Top Bottom