I want to keep this young cockerel but I am uncertain if my roo will allow him in the flock.

rod5591

Songster
6 Years
Oct 15, 2017
Cookeville TN
I hatched my first 5 chicks this year with a broody hen, and found the experience fascinating! One of the chicks is now a gorgeous young cockerel, and I am so fascinated with his looks that I want to keep him. His mother is an Easter Egger and his father is a Noir Maran. The five chicks are about 4 months old now, and they are much wilder and more shy than the chicks that I hand raised in a brooder. They are living with the flock of 25 hens and one roo for over 2 months with no problems. My rooster more or less ignores them, but I don’t know if he will accept him once the cockerel becomes interested in the hens. Can anyone please advise on how I might successfully keep a 2nd rooster when I only have one flock and one chicken run? Here are two photos. (Is he handsome or what?)

Attachments

• 6506A983-1B34-4EB7-B7AF-061B5597AE84.jpeg
    6506A983-1B34-4EB7-B7AF-061B5597AE84.jpeg
    790.7 KB · Views: 15
  • A1978064-92A4-45A9-A77C-541A699ABD1C.jpeg
    A1978064-92A4-45A9-A77C-541A699ABD1C.jpeg
    899 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Can anyone please advise on how I might successfully keep a 2nd rooster when I only have one flock and one chicken run?
Try it and see. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Base your reactions on what you observe, not what some stranger on the internet like me tells you will happen. As Aart said, have a place where you an instantly isolate one if you have to. When you need it you often need it right now. Something like dog cage can work in an emergency.

Yes, I have a dog kennel I can use if things get rough. I was thinking also I could build a smaller run for my two cockerels, and move one of the small hen houses into it for them to sleep in. Another option is to sell them. Around here in Tennessee, I can get $15-20 for a young rooster. But I want to keep this guy if possible because I have such pride in breeding him-and I Like his looks! Although he is so shy he will run from me unless i am actively spreading food goodies onto the ground.

Back
Top Bottom