i want to start breeding a more uncommon chicken that sells good

I am not a chicken breeder or seller, and I really don't know what I am talking about. However, I do have an idea for the OP.

Seems to me that the best potential market is for small, backyard flocks. It would be a plus to market a breed that is truly rare and provides a good number of eggs with an unusual characteristic. Oddly enough, IMO, what is lacking for backyarders is a good dual purpose, calm, white-egg-layer. If somebody really wants to produce a variety of egg colors, there are dual purpose type breeds that do all shades of brown and greens and blues, but not many options for white. Most of the white egg layers are Mediteranean breeds that tend to be more flighty and noisy.

Which brings me to my idea. Somebody needs to develop some Hollands with the key selection factors being temperament, true white egg color,egg production, egg production and then also I would focus on egg production. In other words, don't breed a show chicken -- breed a utility chicken that lays white eggs, is pretty and is friendly.

Also, seems to me that the barred Hollands are nice looking birds, lay white eggs and are reputed to be friendly, so you ought to have the raw material to work with.

I think these could be marketed on the basis of being both a truly rare breed and an alternative to Leghorns for the backyard flock. You would not have near the competition from big hatcheries, because very few hatcheries carry Hollands. That makes them actually rare.

Anyway, if somebody would breed up some Hollands with a reputation for laying as well as barred Plymouth Rock, I think I'd order some myself.

(My apologies to the Leghorn lovers of America for what I am sure are overstatements about that breed.)

Again, this advice is free for a reason,

Neil

I agree...pick a breed that you like and enjoy. You need to have them because you like them, not how well they're going to sell because that changes from year to year.

im not in it for the money but dont want to be stuck with to many chickens
smile.png

If I was you I would do either the speckled sussex people cannot resist the color or the Black copper maran people like the dark eggs. I sold out on the BCM when I ahd them was selling the hens for $20 ea.

I got some "warmers" with my Sandhill preservation center order this fall. They included dorkings and partridge chanteclers (along with leghorns and partridge rocks). I've recently listed the chantecler rooster on Craigslist and have had responses from people across the country to ship him. I have a pair and they have been very friendly birds. The roosters in my opinion are a little ugly, but from the response I have gotten I will keep the pair I have and try to obtain more hens. They are listed as critical so that makes it even more desirable for me to breed them. The dorkings are great too. They are a little shy and seem to be at the bottom of the pecking order. My concern is the huge comb, otherwise I would want to start breeding them too. I believe they are listed as threatened. These are two breeds I would have never considered buying.

Quote:
What do you want your chicken to do for you eggs, meat and/or show? it all depends on what you want. there are people who want their birds for show others for production (eggs & meat) and some want to save rare breeds and varieties some will pay high prices for birds like this. its all up to you
one more thing alot of people will be willing to buy & pay more for birds from you if they come from good stock
punky

I like my Pyncheon bantams....nice American breed with attractive Mille Fleur color and a historic literary background. For a Bantam they lay well and often....great mothers too.
69973_pyncheon_pullet.jpg
[/img]

Back
Top Bottom