I want turkeys!!!

RJSchaefer

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Rockford, IL
Just found out the local hatchery sells them. I want some! I love turkey (to look at and to eat).

Researching right now, but give me some in the trenches experience on raising them. How much room - for a pen and a run? How far away from the chickens? How do they compare to chickens/ducks temperament wise?

I raise both meat chickens and turkeys. The turkeys are a blast and I love to watch them. You do not want to have turkeys where there is any chicken poop (within last 3 years). The turkeys can pick up and egg off chicken poop that will cause blackhead, a very nasty disease. I have mine right next to each other. I was reading that giving them cayenne pepper on food and in water gets rid of blackhead. I don't know how true but I had two poults that had the typical yellow runny poop that is a bad sign. I gave them the cayenne and the next day it was all gone poop was normal and hasn't been back since. Turkeys are pretty easy. I heard that they can be tough but I have yet to lose one. You have to be sure you get a good type of turkey for what your plans are. Pet or meat? If meat what timeline before eating? All types are diff and have diff purpose. If you buy the wrong one you might be setting yourself up to fail. They need a high protein diet to help support growth when young. I am pretty much counting down the days till dinner time with mine

Last edited:
Definitely don't want "pets". I'm not a big fan of birds, except as dinner, although I did become unexpectedly attached to my Pekins. I also just don't have a place to keep them overwinter, since I couldn't keep them with the chickens. The actual chicken coop I have is old, could be made secure, but definitely not winter-proof. I was going to buy the Bronze from Sunnyside Hatchery.

The Broad Breasted Bronze turkeys are similar in size and confirmation to the Broad Breasted White turkeys. The Bronze are especially beautiful to behold with their large colorful wing span.

About the White

Commercial turkeys raised today are the large Broad Breasted White variety. Females can be expected to weigh 16-18 pounds in 14-16 weeks and Toms 30 pounds in 18-20 weeks.

If I got them end of the month, I would be able to raise/slaughter by October.

Yes that's what I run are broad breastred bronze. They are the best feed to butcher weight ratio. They grow fast just make sure you get a broad breasts bronze and not a standard bronze. They take way longer to mature and you would be getting deep into winter. Best turkey meat you will ever have.

Back
Top Bottom